Dovetail Jig - opinion sought.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnotherNewBee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
1 WBC
I think I probably know the answer already, but would value your opinions as I don't want to get off to a false start.

Would a Screwfix 12" Dovetail Jig be adequate for the joints (dovetail or box/comb) on brood boxes and supers?

Is there anything longer, on a bee hive that I won't be able to do with it?

I'll be starting with nationals but might want to build other types later.

I am sure it would be 'adequate' for any joint up to 12" wide, so it likely would not accept a 14 x 12, one guesses.

Personally, I would not bother with that (type) jig for box joints, the reviews are not that favourable and there are likely far better optons available. If you intend making a lot, get a good one.

RAB

No experience of that one but my one did me proud, and it is in storage so I will drag it out and check the maker for you.

I used it for Langstroth supers and broods, for which work it was excellent. I biscuit jointed planed all round timber for the width and then ripped to size and dovetailed them together. Cost then, and I am going back a good few years was about £2 a super and £4 a brood.

PH

The one I'm looking at is about half the SF price, so not a lot of money to risk.

Going for a longer one takes the jig out of my current price range, so 14x12 (and perhaps, deep brood for nationals) might be for later. (?)

My thinking is that the SF one gets me started quickly.

I guess another option is to build a jig for a table saw. Clamping stacks of material together would mean increased productivity, but possibly at the expense of accuracy, and some increase in reject hive parts. In theory, reasonably unlimited joint length, too, as not restricted by the jig clamps.

I suppose it can be used to make National Hives that is the common today modified National Hive but in my opinion it will be a bit fiddly.

I would go router table and a home made box joint jig.

I would go router table and a home made box joint jig.
Yep, that'll do me. Shouldn't be too difficult to produce small batches. The dovetail jig would be too tedious. Not cost-effective.

I do mine on a cheap metal router table,about £40 from Amazon ect.

Latest posts

Back