Double stacked hives overwinter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonny901

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I was wondering if the following is possible. Overwinter, can I put one hive consisting of 2 brood boxes on a stand, with a snelgrove board (with the mesh covered) on top and then another hive with 2 brood boxes on top? Would this help with heat retention over winter or is there a problem with it?

not required if they have enough stores and a good population of bees. Keep as separate colonies.

Agree, waste of time and in spring you will need toseparate them again. Pretty pointless really. Just make sure they have food and they will survive as they have for longer than us!
E

Think of the problems: a full broodbox on to of a full broodbox on top of a full broodbox on top of a full broodbox. Are you a weight-lifter? And then consider that the lower pair of boxes assume that their hive is "here". And the upper colony think their hive is "here" too. |To allow them to function properly requires that you move one of the hives 3 miles away for a few weeks and then back again.

You really are creating work for yourself with no particular advantage.

I was wondering if the following is possible. Overwinter, can I put one hive consisting of 2 brood boxes on a stand, with a snelgrove board (with the mesh covered) on top and then another hive with 2 brood boxes on top? Would this help with heat retention over winter or is there a problem with it?

insulate instead... doubling up just reduces heat loss per colony. do the same easier with a bit of kingspan.

Back