Double brood or not

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryanthebee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi folks
Has any one gone to double brood (large frames) and kept it Double brood through the winter?
Just wondering because our new second genaration queens are not half laying. wall to wall bottom to top its amazing, and only fed our bees at the beggining of the year nothing since.
We just feel its going to be a big hive to condence it down to one broad box for the winter.bee-smilliebee-smillie

Hi folks
Has any one gone to double brood (large frames) and kept it Double brood through the winter?
Just wondering because our new second genaration queens are not half laying. wall to wall bottom to top its amazing, and only fed our bees at the beggining of the year nothing since.
We just feel its going to be a big hive to condence it down to one broad box for the winter.
Plenty around here use double deep brood over winter. Variations in when/if you swap boxes around but the basics work.

That was the flip side to be able to swap the broad up and down to combat congestion, and keep the Queen busy for anti swaming, i think there are more pro than cons.

Just gone permanent double brood national deep, 11 frames per box.We have learned through experience that there is nowhere near enough room in single deep with 10 frames, to the cries of "Told you so". Trying one triple brood next year.

Just gone permanent double brood national deep, 11 frames per box.We have learned through experience that there is nowhere near enough room in single deep with 10 frames, to the cries of "Told you so". Trying one triple brood next year.

:biggrinjester:time for langstroths with that line of supabee then?:biggrinjester:

sometimes you mite get a few mouldy combs but thats really only with smaller colonies if they are very strong theyll be fine

Going to try it myself next year, there're one or two of mine that could have down with it this year (if I'd known what I was doing and had enough spare brood boxes - there's something else for my Santa list :))

yes the double broad looking to have qwenched the queen laying, looks like there is room for here to lay, when i inspect the hive now.

Going to try it myself next year, there're one or two of mine that could have down with it this year (if I'd known what I was doing and had enough spare brood boxes - there's something else for my Santa list :))

douple brood in Santa's list!
Does Santa nurse your hives?
Santa has no beehives in North Pole.

Latest posts

Back