Double brood decision

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dunno that it is so helpfull - in deciding wintering strategy - to cling to a binary

Perhaps someone who experiences real winters is more qualified to provide relevant advice on the matter.
From the replies so far it's pretty obvious that people are erroneously assuming that the bodies of the bees returning from winter water gathering/toilet flights etc are at the same temperature as when they left the warmth of the hive.
Many don't make it back as far as the hive, many arrive back at the very limits of their endurance. Some can be seen hitting the sides and falling to the ground as they misjudge the gap into the entrance (it's a reason I like landing boards).
/sighs/

Last edited:
@BeeFriendly
Flights in subzero (Celcius) have been recorded (studies) as unusual events, sure.
However bees breaking cluster to "toilet" only to get caught in sudden onset
chill factor is way more common. For those events I'd offer it is moot as heat
retention as bee by bee such would vary, the very point you are making, yes?
So it is our preference is to keep the cluster close to the entrance, yet another
arguement for single FD 10frm wintering.

Bill

Perhaps someone who experiences real winters is more qualified to provide relevant advice on the matter.
/sighs/

From a Finnish Man; I have had douple brood wintering 50 years in difficult climate.

Adding to the mix.

I've spent months in Levi (-35), UK winters are very mild in comparison, but in fairness I don't think the bee's leave the hives up there (over winter).

Exactly Bill, which makes you a total novice on UK overwintering experiences.

Acknowledging what is known to happen, yet not neccessarily
a baseline consideration, is in no way naivity...in fact such
transparency reflects an honesty a very few in this place (posting)
go some way in n0t reciprocating.
An effort on my part to reinforce your point, wasted...
... thanks for that, like.

Bill

Last edited:
An effort on my part to reinforce your point, wasted...
... thanks for that, like.

Bill

Wouldn't know Bill.
Most of your posts read as illiterate gibberish so it's difficult to know what you are trying to say most of the time.

Wouldn't know Bill.
Most of your posts read as illiterate gibberish so it's difficult to know what you are trying to say most of the time.

/shrug/

Try this...?
Em alsem sumin lo oliman lusim tingting na hait istap longlong man, dekani.

trans; "open the gate, step out... of the lunchbox"

/grinz/

Bill

Try this...the old English Bowmen's salute to the French "V"

Good job your not being pedantic then, very common to still see was into late nov/dec rather dependant on hard frosts......and the bees in the hives then are....? Are not nov/dec classed as winter in terms of hive set up.
If it is warm enough for the jaspers to fly then it is warm enough for my bees not to tightly cluster in my Abelo poly hives..;)

Back