Double Brood Box or Brood Box & Super?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where in the box?

Get them working it faster; stick one in the middle of the nest and repeat when they've drawn it.

While they're doing that, put the other two on the edges of the brood nest.

I thought it wasn’t advisable to split the Brood nest?

Forget old legends handed down that take no account of reality.

At certain times of the year bees will draw comb faster where temps are higher, and will then use it sooner.

Probably not a good idea in spring, when day temps may be high and night low, but I've been putting foundation frames into the nest all summer.

it depends on the time of year and state of the colony
bit silly to just do it without taking into account those things and a few others.
Eric should really have qualified his rather rash statement

I'd not seen that before. Does the bit that goes over the feeder serve any useful purpose? I'd have thought it would be more straightforward just to have frames for the full width of the super.

James
Just a warning unless they’ve updated the design, there’s no hand lugs or recess in the mould to place a hive tool and when full of honey, difficult to prise off without damaging the box. Got one, wouldn’t buy another, better adding a brood extension and a queen excluder for a Nuc, much easier to lift off .

Hi
A further question.
Is it a good idea to add both a (deep) brood box & (shallow) super at the same time to a colony?
My reasoning is as the honey flow is now on they can draw comb on the foundation and if they need it they can draw comb in the brood box.

Stick a super on then, though if they have to draw it out as well then you might not get very far unless they've got plenty of nectar coming in. You can always use the partially drawn super next year though.

James

Back