• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Dorset/Exmouth area, Wanted bee keeping equipment Starting out

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Luck - I started out asking on Freecycle - and a lovely lady gave me 2 WBCs...same sort of area...just don't go to the stockist in Okkie...way too expensive:(

I've just sent you a PM with details of a small ad. in this month's Devon Beekeeping mag.
May be of use!

Tim

PS re my local supplier. They are now advertising a 5% discount for BKA members.

Last edited:
Th**nes sale this weekend coming.

hive

Hi all I managed to get a top bar for reasonable price and with me just starting out and some back problems it seemed the best option for me. Now I'm looking for bees :)

Wait till Spring and hope someone local has an early swarm in need of a home...no point getting bees now...Oh, and congratulations!

Looking for a package/ top bar nuc to start my hive.

Dorset but happy to travel to neighbouring counties
Something to bear in mind is that there is no such thing as a 'standard' top bar hive - which makes it unlikely that a nuc will transfer as simply as one might hope.
A swarm (keen comb-builders) might be the best starting point (perhaps followed in a month or so by by requeening).
Get on your association's swarm list early!

A growing number of suppliers can provide packages (bees and queen without frames). Swarms are fine but it's just pot luck and the bees may also turn out a bit feisty and need requeening anyway.

I have a top bar nuc that came with the hive. I may use this as a bait hive in the spring

Latest posts

Back