Does pollen = nectar

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flotess

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Folks,
I'm new... so be gentle!
I've been feeding my 8 week old nuc intermittently based on their level of stores over the last few weeks. And they have been duly drawing comb and increasing in number. I was wondering if when I see pollen arriving I can presume that nectar is also coming in. Or is the relationship less obvious?? Clearly one can see pollen on the bees when they return home, but not nectar. Can I use the pollen as a nectar indicator??
Thanks for your thoughts/expertise!

Mark

It depends on what type of pollen (some plants give pollen byt no nectar and vice versa) if you see bees arriving back but with no pollen then they're probably carrying nectar.

I would say "no", pollen != nectar on two levels:

On a nutritional level, bees eat nectar (or honey which is derived from nectar) because it is almost pure carbohydrate and provides energy for flying around, keeping warm, etc. They eat pollen because it contains a lot of protein which is especially important for growing larvae.

In the context of a weak colony, feeding sugar could be relieving the bees of the need to collect nectar and allowing them to concentrate on collecting pollen. If they were forced to collect nectar as well, they might not be able to collect enough pollen and they would scale back their brood-rearing activities - which isn't what you want.

I think you were right with your initial approach - keep feeding syrup until they have plenty of stores in the hive.

If they have enough stores they don't need feeding - they will keep storing the syrup thus there will be no room for the queen to lay thus no new bees ergo no expansion. if they have some stores (in a nuc one frame is ample) leave them to their own devices.
How many frames of brood do you have at the moment?

It depends on what type of pollen (some plants give pollen byt no nectar and vice versa) if you see bees arriving back but with no pollen then they're probably carrying nectar.

OR they could be carrying back water!

Thanks for your replies. This was initially a five frame nuc. Now housed in a national (with one frame removed and replaced with a dummy to help a novice with inspections). They have drawn all but one frame and have brood on all but two frames. Right now they have some stores because they've just had another 500ml of 1:1. But two weeks ago they had no stores so I fed them and they appear to be having a bit of a boom period! I'm (slowly) getting a feel for the balance between the weather and feed. It's a fine line to walk... but I'm learning!

As a newbie all my super frames are just foundation... is there any advantage to putting a super on and feeding to encourage them to draw it out ready for next year? Obviously, balancing feeding against a desire to not have them storing feed in the super???

Really enjoying all this!

Thanks again,

Mark

LOL... I set up a large bucket with some bricks when they first arrived because I was worried they'd be thirsty... turns out I should've set up an umbrella instead!

For the OP.

Some plants will be able to provide pollen in quite challenging weather whilst the available nectar producing ones are not. Nectar is best produced in warmth and higher humidity.

No you cannot surmise there is a co-relation between seeing pollen arriving and nectar it just does not work like that.

When a good flow is on you will see lots of bees arriving at an angle, abdomen lower than head, they have a load on and most likely nectar.

If your colony has 8+ frames of brood I would suggest adding a super over an excluder and stopping feeding as you do not want syrup stored in your super.

Just be aware though of the weather and your stores level.

Enjoy your bees.

PH

Thanks PH! I'm going to invite my mentor round this weekend also!

:)

When a good flow is on you will see lots of bees arriving at an angle, abdomen lower than head, they have a load on and most likely nectar.

ah interesting not worthy, i'll keep an eye out for that, did wonder if there was any sign of a nectar load; pollen is so easy to spot :)

I call it bum down if that is permitted... when you see it once it is very recognisable.

Backed up of course by powerful fanning in the evening.

The scent from a good heather apiary on a warm windless evening after a sultry day has to be one of the major beekeeping experiences. :)

PH

I call it bum down if that is permitted... when you see it once it is very recognisable.

Backed up of course by powerful fanning in the evening.

The scent from a good heather apiary on a warm windless evening after a sultry day has to be one of the major beekeeping experiences. :)

PH

lol, that's an even better description, short and to the point!

i've just started to notice the scent of the hive in the evening when I sit out after getting in from work - it is good!

Latest posts

Back