Does it matter what material you use for a hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wasn't there something about 'duck houses' in the Commons Ministers expenses coverage ?

Just some beveraged thoughts :D

Larch? tad heavy when green, and best saw the bloody stuff when green cause it will be like armor plate when fully dry!

If you want a wood that is beautiful to work with then it has to be ash, its just a woodworkers dream.

Did someone mention flirting? Huh, ? :D

Who is flirting and who is female? :D

Yes larch is like iron when dry,good tough stuff,used to mill and make all my early hives from larch,never sold them,still have some tree's i bought ten years ago to fell,think they will now become fencing material. Another bad habit it has is twisting during kiln drying,especially japanese larch,needs lots of weight on the stacks.And you still end up having to face plane some of it.

Last edited:
My son would love to make one of walnut,just as a one off,he has already made quite a bit of his furniture from walnut,large walnut crotch table being one item.Hate seeing good English walnut tree's being logged up for firewood.

Spruce goose,yes but Howard proved his point.
what an idea, a walnut hive, inlaid with cherry and ivory runners. Watch out antique roadshow......

Latest posts

Back