Does it matter what material you use for a hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is fast becoming thread of the week.
Education and fun,what more could you want !

Aha hivemaker. I built pine boxes 42 years ago and boxes are in good condition. Human houses outer cover is allways pine. It is best weather tolerant wood in finland.

Yes, and treated to death,chemicals,in its natural state pine rots,fast,unless kept frozen,or heated above 60c.then kept dry.

Thought about making some hives out of English walnut,wonder if they would catch on,beeswaxed.

Last edited:
Now your talking Hivemaker.
One of those in your lounge to stand you tea on would look fab.

Education and fun,what more could you want !

I hope the education isn't all about me..................

cool-045.GIF

Frisbee

The H4 "Spruce Goose" made only one "accidental flight" before the project got the chop due to project overruns and the project author called to explain himself.

Moral of the story: Take good care of your projects. :)

My son would love to make one of walnut,just as a one off,he has already made quite a bit of his furniture from walnut,large walnut crotch table being one item.Hate seeing good English walnut tree's being logged up for firewood.

Spruce goose,yes but Howard proved his point.

Last edited:
Flirt JC...............and not long ago you were going to go after poly.

Hivemaker, Walnut hive ..........

Maybe a demonstration hive ....... for in the house ........ ?? would look cool I think.

Poly hoooooo ?? ....... nah not me ...... :leaving: ...

JC,........yes you guv .

Yes,kind of walnut beehive cofee table,like Admin suggested.

Hivemaker have you ever worked with Walnut ? any idea what its like to work.

Yes,lots of it,very easy to work with,very stable,but it absolutely stinks when sawing.I have several tree's that we managed to save from the firewood loggers,one of my good friends has a forestry a tree surgery buisness,plus one of my sons works for him,so manage to get hold of some unusual types of timber,we have a load of sequoia/wellintonia, very soft ,and durable,thought i may use it for some hives.

Last edited:
Sorry chaps, got distracted on another thread by u no hooo, (fris)

I think a Walnut demo hive with glass panels would be a real talking point ......

JC.

Have to give it a go,and put on some pics of finnished hive.

sounds good to me ........ you never know ... you might be able to sell them ???

Maybe Beehaus owners who want exclusive designs for their dwellings, ....... after all Omlet stuff is mass production .................

JC.

Latest posts

Back