Does anyone else just

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the moment it is too dark for me to see the bees when I get home from work but I do go and listen to them evaporating water off the nectar they are bringing into the hives at present... At least I can spend a "few" moments wathing their comings and goings at the weekends!

I like to take a beer into the garden and sit to the side of the hive and watch them - it's very peaceful!

Lovely to watch them, isn't it?
I can sit unsuited about four feet infront of the hives and they just fly around me.
(I've given up smoking but sometimes I go up to the apiary for a sly puff when hubby is out of the house :rolleyes:)
They did pile out and have a real go when I put the mouse guards on two evenings ago but everything was back to normal the next day.

yes, for sure. the only draw back i've noticed is that i seem to build up a back log of other (less important!) jobs.

:iagree:

so relaxing, the constant buzz is amazing.
get a patio chair and table out on a nice spring/summer day, sit there for ages with a big mug of tea and piece of home made cake. :drool5:

I go right up to my hive without suit and squat right by the entrance (on side not in front). They go in and out without me bothering them and I just sit and watch, never had a problem - although I will probably get a sting on the nose when I do from being so close:eek:

I did this until one day a bee zoomed straight out and stung me on the face. So I learnt a painful lesson, after a week of looking like an alien. I still sit and watch them unsuited, but from a distance with decent binoculars

I sit beside or behind the hives or stand beside.. unsuited. So far not been stung altho I kept away when one hive was Q- earlier this year.

Hive observation is an essential skill to develop. As well as very relaxing!

Also, try putting out a tray under the entrance for a few days. This catches a lot of the crud thrown out of the hive. Gives you an idea of what the bees are clearing out.

Bobster

I can stand by the side of mine suitless without any problems (so far) and if it's cool i can see them through the lounge window!

I have a chair by the side of my No 1 hive about 3 feet from the entrance. I spend hours watching all 4 hives with a large swirl of bees all around me coming and going. Talk to my neighbour while standing in the middle of my 4 hives - making sure of course I'm not in an active flight path.

Have been stung twice though, both when I have got up to leave and a bee has flown straight out and stung me :(

Not just the province of the amateur.........I can do this for ages, especially in early spring before we need to be into the hives properly. not only is it a great 'inner calmer' but you can just tell for sure that all is well in their little world (or the converse too of course) when you see the abundant pollen being hauled in, and can recognise the sources. ( I like to see the butterbur pollen going in, very stimulative stuff, as they bring nectar with it.)

Professionals love their bees too...we are just the ones lucky enough to get the opportunity to do our hobby for a living!

yeh, I've got it bad too... Now I've started reviving strays, the ones that have got too cold and look dead... Three today. One bee got trapped upside down by it wings on correx in a rain storm, Another chilled for a day and a half on some wet oasis, another on an ally plate. No movement, dead? Given a little warmth, you see a tiny movement from an antenna and so on to taking a small drop of honey. About 15-30 minutes and they are flying again... Makes my day anyway, even if its totally insignifcant compared to those crushed in every inspection etc etc...

Its one of the main reasons to have bees isn't it? I can walk right up and stand by the entrance and they're generally so busy they don't give a toss.

my bees quite often end up in the horses water trough so i pick them up and put them on the fence post to dry out then off they go.

of course, the site of waddling bees going in to the hive loaded with colourful pollen baskets is a wonderfull site every time

Back