Does anyone else just

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czar1960

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Does anyone else just sit in front of their hives and watch what goes on for ages, it certainly relives the stress of the day.

yes, for sure. the only draw back i've noticed is that i seem to build up a back log of other (less important!) jobs.

great to do when having a cup of tea in the garden.

Hi All, its important to just sit for awhile and see what's going in and out, you can tell alot just by watching how well your hive is doing, and then worry once the weather turns cold that you haven't seen a bee for a few seconds!!!
steven

I do it without. Very relaxing after a stressful day.

My hives are on the edge of a field behind a hazel woven fence so i can stand about 6 feet away without a suit but have not tried sitting in front of them suitless, might be fun i might try one day.

Watched some late retrievals from the Heather re- orientate themselves to a new home this evening, they were loving it, as was I. I could sit all day and watch them, they just fascinate me. My back garden is used as a nursery with lots of nucs and I sit in it daily watching the collections and marvelling. It is just so away from it all.

have a pile of hives by my kitchen window now for this :) If you like watching have a read of "At The Hive Entrance, H Storch". Good book.

I go right up to my hive without suit and squat right by the entrance (on side not in front). They go in and out without me bothering them and I just sit and watch, never had a problem - although I will probably get a sting on the nose when I do from being so close:eek:

Could sit there for hours,even better with a nice glass of wine!

Early spring is the best time for me it is a great feeling seeing them bringing back loads of yellow and orange pollen, knowing all is well and they have come through the winter against all the odds, i could watch them for ages (if i had the time):) Chris

I have a pair of binoculars on the Kitchen windowsill so each morning and afternoon and in between I have a peek to see what's going on, most days i pop up to the top of the garden just to see what's going on and what direction they're foraging in. sometimes i'll sit really close to one side of the entrance and watch/photograph them on the landing board.
Sometimes i do a bit of work in the garden too

I lean on the fence about 2 foot to the right of the hive and don't need a suit to do so. I don't get to just watch them anywhere near as much as I'd like :)

I take my early morning cuppa up the garden to the hives (as long as it's not raining) and after a close peer to see what pollen is going in, if I sit on the bench about six feet away I can watch the dominant flight paths. Their ATC seems very organised!

i often sit right in front of the hive on the allotment with a cup of peppermint tea without a suit on, i have to drag myself away to do some gardening

love doing this when i can, watchign the main flight paths and the spiral in etc, good sound amongst the hives, amazing ot see they do have main routes and just a few going off exploring... could be hours so have to make myself g oof oand get on with "other" gardening etc... but yes peacefull sotthing and interesting... mind wonders off... ... ...

I used to sit there for hours unsuited in season one. At the start of season two I discovered that they are not always so mild so now I take a great deal more care and often now suit up. I agree it is mesmerising and something I love to do.

Back