Does anyone else do Christmas gifts

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gave up on the honey when my best got slathered over a gammon joint. The effort I put into it is taken for granted.
Humbug!!
I got an email from a friend who had pleaded for a jar of my honey and I had sent her one ... saying she was absolutely delighted with it and the taste was fantastic - of the CARROTS she had roasted in it. Never again ...

We've shared a few Christmas gift threads, and we've done some gift-bashing, but I'm wondering--what is the best gift you've ever gotten for Christmas? Or one of the best ones? At least one or two that you remember fondly?

Best Christmas gift was the year we put in a rule that all the gifts had to be consumable, no gifts that could not be eaten, drunk, or used up within a short period of time.

I even paid the postage ... bloody Philistine !

Some vegetable gardener somewhere is probably posting to a forum saying "I sent my friend some gorgeous carrots the other day and she told me they tasted fantastic roasted in HONEY! HONEY! I mean, what a waste of lovely carrots!" :D

James

Some vegetable gardener somewhere is probably posting to a forum saying "I sent my friend some gorgeous carrots the other day and she told me they tasted fantastic roasted in HONEY! HONEY! I mean, what a waste of lovely carrots!" :D

James
I'm a believer in the fact that there are several parallell universe ... you are probably right ... there will be a carrotgrowersforum.co.uk where its been posted !

I share your feelings! Last night I wondered why on earth I have signed up to having a stall. The house is a mess, every surface is covered in bee stuff, candles, jars of honey. Total chaos!
... and the endless deliveries of parcels - "ooh that's a good idea, I could make some of those" and "I'm not sure that's enough, better order some more...". Luckily mostly they arrive during the day while I'm working from home and I can hide them before he comes home from work 😏

I'm new to all this but have a lot of good wax this year so...
I've bought some tea light holders, wick sustainers and wick from Thornes but the wick, which says No.3, 11/4" on the label looks very thick, much thicker than the commercial tl wicks. Have I made a mistake? What should I be buying? and do I have to soak the wick in wax before using? Thanks.

Tea light wicks are thick. I would wax and tab a couple and test burn.
You can buy pretabbed tea light wicks from 4candles. They do trial packs which include different sizes.

If you don’t wax you have to have a way of holding the wick up in the molten wax. A needle through the wick will do but it’s terribly fiddly.
Oh and you need glue dots to stick the sustainer to the bottom of the cup.

Kaz that looks beautiful. How much are you charging for that?
For me I would take the polish and wood conditioner out for sale at a fair.
I'm taking honey and candles...that's all. I might take the cut comb but I'm not hopeful that anybody will buy any.
If I sell out I will be very pleased and go home
In the US, comb is very popular right now. People ask us all the time if we have it. We don’t. I almost never see it for sell.

This year is my first year of having enough honey (and wax) to think that I might not sell it all so I've put together some gift boxes to sell as a made- to- order pick and mix, just in my village. In my over- enthusiasm I've also signed up for a christmas fair bit now concerned that I may have over- committed (how much stuff do I need to make to take to the fair, what else needs to go on the stall, how do I dress it up etc etc). One of life's over- thinkers 😂😂

But still new enough to thoroughly enjoy putting the boxes together 😃
Nice work, looks so elegant!

Reactions: Kaz
Love your labels, Kaz.
Thanks for advice on tea lights. They've worked very well and burn for 3-4 hours. J

Reactions: Kaz
I used to make these gift sets but they were a right pain,each one took me about 15 mins to make and there was a lot of cost involved. Now I just buy some gold organza bags (about 20p each) and people can choose what they want to put in them.

Attachments

• 20211205_154114.jpg
    20211205_154114.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back