Do not tap hives during winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finman

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
It does not help bees to stay alive. It is controversy.

I have 100 miles to my hives. Easy to follow own advice.

But it tells too that hives do not need your tapping.

You have in Britain very warm, and hives should not have problems in wintering.

-

Last edited:
maybe if on mesh floor use mirror and torch to look under and up into bottom of frames .

I don't tap my hive ... no need to ... colony temperature sensor tells me they are alive and well ... but today (with an external temperature of 6.5 degrees C) they were out flying at 11.00am ... and not cleansing flights either ... some of them were definitely on a mission and finding something a bit heavy judging by their return landings ! Relative Humidity up from 73% where it's been for the last couple of weeks to 84% and colony temperature up to 12 degrees which is also higher than it has been. Not sure what it means but clearly they are fit and well.

One tap on the hive is hardly going to upset the bees that much. They cope fine when we have hail stones or heavy rain

As you can see by many threads, some cannot just leave the bees alone.

At this time if year, if they have failed, the kit could be packed away and cleaned.
If you had a weak resonse to a tap, you can do nothing but will encourage the person to check more often which is the worst thing you can do.

The logical time to tap is just before spring, to make sure there are no dead hives that may harbour diseases that may be robbed when the bees become active.
When having one apiary and a couple of hives, my prefered option would be to be out on a warm day that often occurs in February.... I have too many apiarys to do that easily.

When it becomes cold enough (hopefully soon!) I will be oxalicing mine and giving a large slab of fondant if required. If they are still alive, I will see them then.

Just to put the tappers side of the story.....
I find it a useful tool, especially for beginners, who otherwise might open hives to look!
I know you don't like it finman, sorry about that, but it works for me.
Over the years a gentle tap has told me what is going on inside m hive giving me confidence to leave them alone or warning me that they need help.....believe it or not!
One tap once a week will make no difference. The rain must hammer on the hive, hefting must be more upsetting, birds and squirrels sit on my hive roof they are not silent. I am causing the minimum of disturbance and will continue to use my method and suggest that it is helpful to others.
I consider it to be good for me and no harm to the bees, you advocate splitting a double brood by looking at a temperature of 7 degrees in England on your computer, yet here we are sitting in 7 degrees with winds of 50 mph!
Surely not!
I will continue to be a tapper all the time I keep my bees because it works for me
Cheers!
E

............ or more importantly do not tap dance on hives during winter, especially if it's frosty - you may slip and do yourself a nasty little injury!

Better I have found is to get a stethoscope off fleabay (less than a fiver with postage) not only can you listen to the cluster without bending right down to put your ear to the hive (with the added risk of meeting a too inquisitive/irate bee) thus saving your back from too much bending - it will also give you a vague idea of where the cluster is, it's also a much better idea for us with slightly faulty hearing.
As a bonus, together with a skimpy little nurses outfit it can give hours of fun on these cold winter evenings (with any luck, you may also get your partner to join in!)

Just to put the tappers side of the story.....
I find it a useful tool, especially for beginners, who otherwise might open hives to look!
I know you don't like it finman, sorry about that, but it works for me.
Over the years a gentle tap has told me what is going on inside m hive giving me confidence to leave them alone or warning me that they need help.....believe it or not!
One tap once a week will make no difference. The rain must hammer on the hive, hefting must be more upsetting, birds and squirrels sit on my hive roof they are not silent. I am causing the minimum of disturbance and will continue to use my method and suggest that it is helpful to others.
I consider it to be good for me and no harm to the bees, you advocate splitting a double brood by looking at a temperature of 7 degrees in England on your computer, yet here we are sitting in 7 degrees with winds of 50 mph!
Surely not!
I will continue to be a tapper all the time I keep my bees because it works for me
Cheers!
E

I love TO tap but I am 100 miles away from my hives.
How hives CAN survive 5 months without my taps.
I hope that woodpeckers keep the hives Alive.

Better I have found is to get a stethoscope
as long as you resist the temptation to tap the working end of it..

You tap a hive to get a reaction .
If you get a reaction you have disturbed the bees .
If you have disturbed the bees you walk away with a smile assuming all okay!
If no reaction you assume the bees are dead?
You can't do anything at this time of year so why tap a hive just to feel happy?
I prefer a good single malt , much more satisfying than knowing I've broken the cluster and caused needless agitation!
Vm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's an old hand talking vm! Remember those days when you were learning? Don't tell me you never wondered what was going on! I'm with you on the whiskey but all I am trying to say is that tapping is better than opening which was being suggested in recent posts! I agree if they are dead they are dead, but then again why leave the wax to the wax moth when you can pack it all up and clean it ready for next year!
Loads of pros and cons, all I am saying is it has it's uses!
E

Indeed it has ! Very useful when dealing with a keg of real ale :)
The wax moth are rarely active during winter (unless hive is stored indoors) .
Plenty of time to deal with a dead out as soon as the other colonies begin to display increasing actively!
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back