Do hives recycle old wax and can queen cells be made from recycled wax.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will hives recycle old wax. And can queen cells be made from recycled wax

• Total voters

Curly green finger's

If you think you know all, you actually know nowt!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
30+
Hi, I want to start an opinion poll on what other beekeepers thought about Bees recycling old wax in a hive.
I've observed nibbled frames and I've seen pictures on here of the same thing.

I've also read in one of my books that a colony will recycle wax to make queen cells.

There has been a bit of a discussion on another thread about this subject.
Thanks for looking and can you vote for both questions.
Hopefully I've set this up right.
Cheers.

I have to say I don't know
I do see quite creative short cuts in comb and foundation
Whether that has been moved and used elsewhere is another matter
Perhaps somebody could make a brood box up with coloured foundation?

Should people vote, would they kindly support their opinion 'that they do or don't' with some published or similar evidence. Otherwise it's only an unsupported opinion and pretty meaningless.

Fred.

Bees may 'recycle' the odd bit of wax but I don't think it's a standard practice. I have on more than one occassion forgotten pieses of fresh, recently drawn brace comb on hive roofs at an apiary, sometimes it falls in front of the hive, but it's always there and intact the following week and maybe longer.
I think the chewing of foundation has nothing to with moving the wax elsewhere but plainly and simply the bees sometimes like to restructure stuff, and a handy hole to move from one frame of cob to the other.
Nowhere have I read or heard about bees using recycled wax to build QC's

I recall reading that they would recycle wax to make brood cappings if that was more expedient than creating new wax, but I can't for the life of me remember where.

Don't know why they would specifically use it for QCs, but I do get a number of frames nibbles through in the bottom corners though it is impossible to know for what purpose.

Dani said; < Perhaps somebody could make a brood box up with coloured foundation? >

Excellent suggestion!

Should people vote, would they kindly support their opinion 'that they do or don't' with some published or similar evidence. Otherwise it's only an unsupported opinion and pretty meaningless.

Fred.
Why? the originator of the poll never asked for this.
I'm sure if he wanted this he would have specified it.

smitten; < but I do get a number of frames nibbles through in the bottom corners though it is impossible to know for what purpose. >

IMO shortcuts.

Fred.
I have but my evidence is observation and what I've read in a book (the beekeepers field guide by David cramp)
And what other beeks have posted since 2017 comments and pictures.

jenkin said; <Why? the originator of the poll never asked for this.
I'm sure if he wanted this he would have specified it.>

Firstly, she a lady not a he.

Secondly, most likely she didn't think of it.

what I've read in a book (the beekeepers field guide by David cramp)
Explains a lot
Firstly, she a lady not a he.
Curly is most definitely a man - check his profile.
And regardless of whether he though of it or not, it's not up to you to try and hijack his poll by announcing what you think he should say.
It's called an 'opinion poll' for a reason.

Last edited:
Explains a lot

Curly is most definitely a man - check his profile.
And regardless of whether he though of it or not, it's not up to you to try and hijack his poll by announcing what you think he should say.
It's called an 'opinion poll' for a reason.

Curley asked for the poll but was Dani not involved and she is female? Anyway only a petty point.

I'm not trying to hijack anything. Just trying to make responses more meaningful.

Why do you behave as though you're the only beekeeper in your village?

Fred.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to hijack anything. Just trying to make responses more meaningful.

Like you Fred, I wasn't aware that there was a limit on the amount of input you could put into a response. ;)

I could give any random answers and they would be meaningless as I have only been beekeeping for six weeks!!!!

Curley, you will see that I have been accused of trying to hijack your poll by asking those wishing to respond if they would 'kindly' (not must) provide some supporting evidence, for I thought this would add value to your overall question and give everyone more information.

I did give you my own opinion in a response on this thread.

I'm pretty new here (not to beekeeping) and haven't seen a forum poll before.

Did I offed You?

I doubt it but if so, I apologise.

Fred.

Last edited:
Curley, you will see that I have been accused of trying to hijack your poll by asking those wishing to respond if they would 'kindly' (not must) provide some supporting evidence, for I thought this would add value to your overall question and give everyone more information.

I did give you my own opinion in a response on this thread.

I'm pretty new here (not to beekeeping) and haven't seen a forum poll before.

Did I offed You?

I doubt it but if so, I apologise.

Fred.
Alls good my names Mark by the way.
I've put the opinion poll up to get other people's views and votes on the subject as Ive found it interesting to see half nibbled frames round the edges which I think aren't for movement of bee's or air

Plus I've had other beeks on here put photos up and discussed this before.

Please vote Fred and everyones opinion counts.
#allbeeksopinionscount

Hi Mark, I'm glad you were okay with that.

Pity someone else tried to jump down my throat. Very unnecessary and only makes for unpleasantness.

You say; <Please vote Fred and everyones opinion counts. >

Sadly I'm neutral on this one but I hope others do.

Your poll is at the top of this page and I don't think readers know that.

Fred.

Ive found it interesting to see half nibbled frames round the edges which I think aren't for movement of bee's or air
They often do that when setting up their 'dance floor' bees tend to have a specific comb to conduct their foraging waggle dances. It's pretty dark inside a hive so a lot of the information is transmitted by vibration. by nibbling the edges and detaching the comb from the frame sides and bottom the vibrations don't get damped.

I can see from color if combs are made from recycled wax. Sometimes I see light brown queen cells and sometimes white cells.

Sometimes bees tear down foundation and use wax somewhere else.

Back