Do bees have an iq range?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Not gone above freezing for over a week but new bee bodies in livestock fields. What were they thinking?

Attachments

• AE1F1F88-8061-4EFF-ABE7-118EE0B1ED4F.jpeg
    AE1F1F88-8061-4EFF-ABE7-118EE0B1ED4F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Likely they’ve just been removing the dead. Normally lost in the grass they just become visible on the snow.

Likely they’ve just been removing the dead. Normally lost in the grass they just become visible on the snow.
Nowhere near the hives though. In the middle of my snowbound livestock fields about 100 metres away. Have added some fondant to two hives this morning in case hungry scouts looking for food. They seem ok so may not be from my hives.

Very likely to be from your hives as I’d suspect none closer. Could have been a forager out for water or most likely just carried from the hive and dropped they don’t just kick them out the door.

Not gone above freezing for over a week but new bee bodies in livestock fields. What were they thinking?
They do this thing called altruistic suicide where the older bees, the ones likely to be carrying the highest pathogen loads, chose to go on near suicide scouting missions, if they fail to make it back its no great loss and their pathogens are removed from the hive.

Of course!
Pollen and nectar.
Potential swarming locations.......
Bees will collect pollen all year around if conditions allow. Over the years there’s not a single winter week period I suspect that I’ve not seen pollen going into a hive. Go spill some syrup in the sun around some hives and if they are flying they find it. Bees won’t be going by a calendar but by conditions. They will also be out collecting water throughout Winter again if conditions allow and the source warms enough, they will not restrict themselves to moisture in the hive.

What were they thinking?
Saw a bee today leave the entrance, fall in the snow and wave it's legs about hoplelessly. I was about to put it the right way up, when it got to its feet and flew away.

You or I might have gone straight back indoors to the warmth, but bees are not daft, they just have a determined agenda, as Ian described.

Noticed a lot of bird footprints around hive entrances, probably made when picking up evicted dead bees.

Often seen bees transporting dead over some distance.
Some colonies do dump them outside the entrance though.
Birds get to know the site and will often pick off dead dying or unwary bees before you even see them go.
I’ve got a strong colony that does this. I was concerned early this year with all the dead bodies in the grass in front of the hive but as time has gone on I now realise it’s just their style!

Latest posts

Back