Do all Bee Keeping Suppliers give rubbish service?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best stick to Land Rovers then,beekeeping is not going to be your thing...as bee's won't work to your rigid plans either......"Bees do nothing invariably."....lol.

I this the sort of welcome someone new get to this forum???? I hope other people on here are nicer. Strange I am complaining about suppliers and someone with the name 'Hivemaker' is so rude !!!!

Although it is so easy to order online a quick phone call to check availaibilty and delivery avoids hassle and dissappointment whoever you are buying from.

It would be nice if vendors notated their websites with "waiting stock" etc specially for common items like foundation, frames etc.

I thought the thread title a bit rubbish for a start(er).

Little experience of the craft and basically trying to provoke slagging off of our suppliers.

There is likely only one supplier who needs really slagging off, but there are some who think the sun shines out of his .......

The rest (I think) do their best to supply a seasonal market and most do a good job. There are one or two that I am reticent to give any trade to, and some marketed items which may be a little dubious, application or quality-wise.

The market is competitive and the choice of your supplier may come down to price, service or perhaps other criteria.

Remember there are two sides to every sale - a seller and a buyer. Perhaps it might be the buyer who is the rubbish party at times? Especially when inexperienced?

First thing I would check out, if I were to be in a hurry for kit would be stock levels at the supplier. Most suppliers may try to persuade you with 'expected deliveries (to them) if temporarily out of stock but would not lie through their teeth. Always a case of 'buyer be aware'

BTW, you won't find many on the forum 'nicer' than Hivermaker. Usually succinct and very close to the mark. I note that is yet another complaint from you, already. I must go back to you other posts to check out if you really are a serial complainer, or whether that is just a first impression.

Just report it to ebay that you havent got item you paid for and you should get your money back if it is that long since you paid..

Dishmop - have you tried this? I've had a couple of transactions gone wrong and Ebay/Paypal were utterly useless. I managed to get my money back via my credit card company on the first. On the second Paypal simply closed the case and I lost my money.

As to Th****s, I've always found the service good.

I this the sort of welcome someone new get to this forum???? I hope other people on here are nicer. Strange I am complaining about suppliers and someone with the name 'Hivemaker' is so rude !!!!

I think most people who have been on the forum for a good time will have nothing but good words towards hivemaker and his post you are referring to as I read it is pointing out that in this world of instant gratification the bees will not always play the game and we have to work to their time scale.

I do think that posts that are replied by copy and paste and then highlighted in bold come across as a grumpy and argumentative and can set a bat tone even if this is not intended by the person typing the post.

Last edited:
:iagree:

you couldn't have got Hivemaker more wrong noBBY. but welcome to the forum and i hope you find there are many reliable supliers out there!
and Hivemaker would be at the top of my list! :)

Last edited:
Dishmop - have you tried this? I've had a couple of transactions gone wrong and Ebay/Paypal were utterly useless. I managed to get my money back via my credit card company on the first. On the second Paypal simply closed the case and I lost my money.

My income is from ebay so yes I have done it several times.
A seller should indicate how many working days it will be after payment that they post the item.. Saturdays and Sunday not classed as working days. If the item doesnt arrive and the seller cannot supply a tracking number you open a case that you havent got the item. Ebay ask the seller for tracking number. If seller cannot supply tracking number.... you get your money back...... When you open the case ebay/paypal will "freeze" the purchase price in the sellers account until the case is sorted out. All the stuff that sellers put in adverts about "not being responsible for goods lost in post and they have got a proof of postage receipt" is a load of crap as far as ebay is concerned....... A buyer can recieve their purchase... then say that they havent got it... report it to ebay and ebay will refund the money.... If there is a tracking number it shows if the item was delivered..

My experience as a newbie looking for hives to buy is as follows:

A lot of internet suppliers do not have the prices on the same page. This requires the buyer to hit on each seperate link - brood, super, roof etc. and paper list the prices, to find out if the chosen selection is comparable to the last website. Some need VAT to be added, hiking up the final price to us non-business users.

Other websites have catalogues to download. This is fine, however the price lists (that change each year) are a seperate download and whilst great to have in front of you, are annoying to have to swap computer pages for prices when shopping.

Some suppliers do not have some goods in stock, and need to have these sent in from abroad. Whilst I realise that stocks can go fast at the start of the season, surely the suppliers should realise this too, and have planned for it?

The MOST annoying was when phoning a company and getting a member of their sales team that (having been listed in their newsletter of July last year as being new and inexperienced) still dosen't know the products that they are selling now, 10 months after starting. The excuse of "I'm not a beekeeper" does not help me or the company to sell their products.
If I sold tractors for a living, and told everyone I am not a farmer therefore don't know the product, I would expect my boss to get rid of me pretty quick.

Rant over - I did have some good conversations with some suppliers who have shown themselves to be honest hardworking decent people. At the moment I am considering all my options and the actions of local beekeepers who may have a hive for me shortly, before I purchase anything.

In addition, I will be taking a better look on this forum, as I have overlooked it and as many of you have mentioned, may be a better way of obtaining my equipment, especially based on the recommendations that I have seen.

Dave.

So after the reading this thread yesterday and reminding me about my awful customer service from Th****s. I phoned them today. Spoke to Gill who has been the one ignoring my emails. Very Nice girl over the phone! Here is the gist of the start of the call:

Ahh yes Mr ****** I remember your emails, didn’t I reply? Ohh looks like I forgot! Don't worry sir I am sending you a brand new QE in the post today.

Why it took a phone call to push this along im not quite sure. Had I not phoned my emails would have continued to be ignored.

Then I moved onto the press in queen cage or lack of one to be precise. I was then told that they are out of stock and will be back in stock next week (Maybe). Its took seven weeks for them to tell me this!

An email to let me know would have been nice!

But your correct in saying nice people to talk too and its not her fault that they are unable to keep up with the demand, more to do with the man at the top not running thing in a more efficient manner.

So while I acknowledge that some people have had a great service from Th****s and I didn’t I have been so un impressed I will be trying another supplier next time.

A seller should indicate how many working days it will be after payment that they post the item.. Saturdays and Sunday not classed as working days. If the item doesnt arrive and the seller cannot supply a tracking number you open a case that you havent got the item. Ebay ask the seller for tracking number. If seller cannot supply tracking number.... you get your money back...... When you open the case ebay/paypal will "freeze" the purchase price in the sellers account until the case is sorted out. All the stuff that sellers put in adverts about "not being responsible for goods lost in post and they have got a proof of postage receipt" is a load of crap as far as ebay is concerned....... A buyer can recieve their purchase... then say that they havent got it... report it to ebay and ebay will refund the money.... If there is a tracking number it shows if the item was delivered..

Ok, but in my case the seller simply took the money and disappeared - they were not bothered about having an (emptied) account frozen. Paypal gave up and closed the case.

Off topic, but talking of Ebay, I see that the monstrosity on Princess Beatrice's head at the Royal Wedding is now going for over £18,000!!!!!

xgeordie,

With ebay, try and speak to the seller. If they don't answer your first email, send a second explaining this is the second time you;ve tried to raise them.

Give them 24/48 hours (could be a different time zone or away for a weekend) but on the third, warn them you will reverse the sale if you do not have communication from them within 24 hours.

Then you start the complaints process that there is a problem with the sale and then it usually goes as per the process. Generally ebay/PayPal will protect the buyer first and foremost and so you shold remember that.

All the stuff that sellers put in adverts about "not being responsible for goods lost in post and they have got a proof of postage receipt" is a load of crap as far as ebay is concerned.

Not sure it is even legal, Dishmop. No goods, no concluded transaction.

I ALWAYS get prrof of postage whenever I send anything, whatever its cost.

If an eBay seller sends out the goods with a valid tracking number. The seller is not responsible for the good once they have left the seller.

As if the buyer starts a case stating i have not received the item the seller can then answer the case with a tracking number. ebay will verify the tracking number and the buy must contact the courier and find out were the parcel is.

If no tracking number is sent the sell will lose every time.

Bee suit - ebay - 4 days
Beekeeping tools - simonthebeekeeper - 4 days
QE - Fragile Planet - 4 days
Lemongrass oil - Amazon - 5 days
Doc Martens - ebay - too long, lol

Not sure it is even legal, Dishmop. No goods, no concluded transaction.

I ALWAYS get prrof of postage whenever I send anything, whatever its cost.

Proof of postage is only any good for the seller if they want to claim money back from posr office...
Unless you post something by recorded deliver you cant prove they got it... and ebay will give the buyer their money back.......

so... beware.... if you sell something on ebay that is worth a lot or cost you a lot to make or buy with a view for reselling at a profit...... always sent via recorded delivery........

Proof of postage is only any good for the seller if they want to claim money back from posr office...
Unless you post something by recorded deliver you cant prove they got it... and ebay will give the buyer their money back.......

so... beware.... if you sell something on ebay that is worth a lot or cost you a lot to make or buy with a view for reselling at a profit...... always sent via recorded delivery........

Correct. My point was I get proof of postage for the smallest item. Anything worth more than a couple fo quid or overseas gets tracked and the buyer pays for that.

xgeordie,

With ebay, try and speak to the seller. If they don't answer your first email, send a second explaining this is the second time you;ve tried to raise them.

Give them 24/48 hours (could be a different time zone or away for a weekend) but on the third, warn them you will reverse the sale if you do not have communication from them within 24 hours.

Then you start the complaints process that there is a problem with the sale and then it usually goes as per the process. Generally ebay/PayPal will protect the buyer first and foremost and so you shold remember that.

Thanks for the advice, but basically the seller was a crook and disappeared. It happened a while ago and was for a small amount, so I won't lose any sleep over it.

Second case involved a blatant breach of copyright. It was obvious to a 5 year old, but I still had to provide statements - Ebay did nowt and let the seller continue to trade. I ended up getting a charge back arranged via my credit card company. Paypal then had the bloody cheek to issue me with a warning not to arrange any charge backs again! Hey ho.

Having sold on ebay, the buyer claimed not to have received an expensive item. The resultant hold on my Paypal account was an inconvenience. After lots of emails and frustration, Paypal ruled in favour of the buyer because I had not sent by tracked method, as per the paypal guarantee (which they do not make clear to the seller using their service). The resultant post office insurance was a joke, but something.
I now have to ensure that the buyer is aware that the high postage costs are for the tracked service that Paypal requires me to use.

I am still wary of using ebay for many goods, especially the expensive items.

My local suppliers - Paynes - are great, I usually get the stuff within a couple of days. Even Thornes have been good supplying stuff quickly and Caddon Hives too. I think you have been unlucky!
Louise

Tom B, Oliver90owner and Hivemaker

You have all referred to me being a novice Bee Keeper which I am, I admit that. However, what has that got to do with expecting good service from suppliers? In reality expecting good service has nothing what so ever to do with vagaries of Bees’ May be all the new Bee Keepers will give the suppliers a kick and bring them into the 21st century.

I am sure there are some good suppliers out there I just need to find them and some people have given some good recommendations.

Latest posts

Back