disturbing the bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janandmaxbee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi. My 2 hives are at the bottom of my garden. About 10 ft behind them is a row of leylandi. The man who owns the trees is having them trimmed this week and I was a bit worried as to how the bees would react to the noise of the chain saws etc. (It will take all day to complete the work). Does anyone have any thoughts/advice on this. Thanks.

It might depend on the temperature.

It might depend on what hits the hives.

Is it one specific day or a day's work over the week?

Close them up and move them away. Simple. Then no problem

RAB

Chap trimming a hedge on a tractor just behind my hives last year got stung, luckily quite stoic about it. If the weather suitable they may well come and investigate in which case either the trimmers should be offered some protection if you have enough veils, or as RAB says give them a temporary move.

If you have OMFs I think you can just close them up at this time of year. I shut all my hives up for two successive days whilst we were having work done on trees in January. I opened them up in the evening and they came to no harm - and these were poly hives which are prone to overheating when the bees are confined.

To be doubly sure it might help to remove the crownboards but this will mean having to chase them back down later.

if it is warm enough to fly close them up. Vibration often attracts bees. It depends on the noise - a regular thump like a mattock or a tractor ticking over will bring them - but if it is cool no problem.

My bees have been surprisingly tolerant to hedgetrimmers and chainsaws. The don't seem to mind the vibration of small two stroke engines that much - but they absolutely hate lawnmowers.

If they are on OMF, I'd close them up and give them a bit of syrup to work on. Safest for the guys with the trimmers, and no problem for the bees. Don't really see the need to move them unless big bits of tree are going to land on them.

depends on the bees

i have one hive that goes Mad if i strim around their hive but the others just go on as normal, it is a hive that is normally quite calm

block them in at night before

Mine really dont like my hedge trimmer. They come to investigate and are prepared to sting. I suit up for the 5m either side of the hives!

I think you have two issues here. First will the bees be distrurbed and that leads into, will they sting the contractors.

The bees are in your garden, you have neighbourhood relations to think about, you have prior warning of the activity. If they are on OMFs then just close them up for those days. The bees will come to no harm but your reputation may suffer if you don't. If they are on solid floors make sure you have a travel screen up top and some ventilation, still close them up.

If there is any problem at all then its a fair bet that come summer everyone who is stung within half a mile will be blamming the 'mad irresponsible beekeepers who made their bees attack the workmen' You can do without that blanket bad PR.

Hi Thank you all for your advice. I am a very new beekeeper - what does
OMF stand for. Unfortunatly it is not possible to move the hives. Workmen have been warned and say they will be fairly well protected anyway (health and safety wear) . I have been advised by another bee keeper to put a couple of blankets over the hives - does that sound sensible to you?

OMF = Open Mesh Floor. It is possible that if you have older 'inherrited gear' that you have solid floors. Solid floors by definition dont allow any bottom ventilation and rely on ventilation through the crown board and roof (top venting).

I would not cover with a blanket since that will reduce air movement - what ever type of floor or ventilation you are using and increases the risk of over-heating / high humidity in the hives. Just block the entrances and make sure your hives are properly ventilated.

You can ease the pressure on them by opening up again each evening when the workman stop, closing next morning before it gets warm / the workman start again.

You already have a positive in that the workman are aware of the bees pressence - self preservation says they will be mindful not to cause damage!

I would also strap the hives parts together - just in case they get nudged/knocked/hit for some reason, at least they'll stay in one piece that way, you'll still have bees to tend and neighbours that are talking to you!

Last edited:
OMF Open Mesh Floor - Obviously - thanks for that. { that is what I have**. Will do as you suggest with the hives and hope for the best. thanks again

Latest posts

Back