Distances from House

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raceyboy

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
picture.php

Not sure if the hive is too close to the house, Bees are coming next week so I need to be 100% certain. Its 30ft to the house from the hive. I've sat the hive on an Octoplus system, so the height can be adjusted to suit, very sturdy too. Do you think its a bit tight to slot another hive there? ;)

which wat do you intend to have the entrance facing (can't see from photo - towards fence?).

no probs having two side by side and no probs 30ft from house (esp if hives facing away).

To be honest it depends what you use your garden for.
If you have young children or you like to be able to sit out in the garden a lot, then you might find 30ft is a little too close for comfort.
It's OK when the bees are behaving themselves, but if they get a little feisty you could feel a bit under seige at that distance.

I don't want to put you off though. How about giving it a try but, in the meantime, finding an alternative apiary site where you could quickly take them if things don't work out?

:iagree:You could put another hive there I'm sure. HOWEVER, despite my Forum name I'm not under any illusions about the suitability of keeping bees in a garden, esp. where neighbours are involved. When it's going well it's great, but you definitely need to keep an alternative site in mind for if the bees have a change of character.

30ft is OK for most occasions, but nothing like far enough to keep away from really angry bees... so I would definitely have a back-up plan just in case they lose their temper. For example, if they become queenless and defensive, if you open up the hive in unsuitable weather, or if you accidentally bump the hive or otherwise fall out with them, guard bees are quite capable of hassling you for 100 feet or more. Hopefully it wouldn't happen, but unfortunately it's a fairly common cause of problems with garden bees, esp. in their second or third season when they're really going strong.

Also, if you "walk them back with you", ie. progress back to the house with a few hangers-on still buzzing around you, they are quite likely to hang around the house and continue making their point next time you go out the back door! So if they're a bit roused, it would be prudent to wait a few feet away, possibly wafting some smoke over your bee suit, until they disperse, rather than risk them following you about the garden and remembering their last point of defence.

Having said that, I greatly enjoy having bees at the bottom of my garden... It's a 140ft garden though, and on the one occasion when one colony lost their temper they defended the bottom 60ft or so quite vigorously for several days, i.e. I couldn't get past the shed without a bee suit. With extra space and a new queen they settled down very quickly, but this isn't always the case - some colonies just aren't well-behaved. Hence the need for a backup plan!

which wat do you intend to have the entrance facing (can't see from photo - towards fence?).

no probs having two side by side and no probs 30ft from house (esp if hives facing away).

The entrance is facing the compost bins, the bottom fence is only 2 ft away, bit too close i would have thought to put an entrance there, what do you think?

On the other matter of the stand.

Looks a little light weight to me. The way I test is sitting on the hive to make sure its strong enough to take my 14 stone and ensure its stable and not likely to topple over in a strong wind or if its stacked with several supers.

It doesnt look like you will have enough space to work around it where it is.

If it has to go in that area I would move it away from the fence about a foot, have the entrance facing the shed, and move it away from the shed a few feet.

That way you will have a bit more space to work, do not have to stand in front of the entrance to work. Not sure if there is space for a second hive there - you could stand it right next to the other one (and have the entrance towards the fence to reduce drifting), but that limits your working space to 1 side for the hive you have now.

Pointing the hives at an obstacle (as long as it isnt too close) will force the bees up and away from the garden and your neighbours gardens. You will then only have to worry about guard bees potentially.

All the above in my opinion of course :)

In Tim Hooper's book he recommends 4-6 foot from a hedge (obstacle), preferably facing the hedge. I placed mine at 5 foot, facing the hedge, and it's working well as we don't interfer in eachothers lives unless I make a visit.. Given your limited ability to move much further away from the fence it seems facing it towards the shed, would give you that distance.
BL

On the other matter of the stand.

Looks a little light weight to me. The way I test is sitting on the hive to make sure its strong enough to take my 14 stone and ensure its stable and not likely to topple over in a strong wind or if its stacked with several supers.

I can assure you its more than strong enough, its a fishing platform, which means you can sit on it, with fishing box, will easy hold 20st .... :rolleyes:

I can assure you its more than strong enough, its a fishing platform, which means you can sit on it, with fishing box, will easy hold 20st .... :rolleyes:

:)

Hi, i started with my hive at the end of the garden this year. It was about 40 ft away from the house, no problems to start with until they built up.
Nearly every other day guard bees would chase my wife into the house, she put up with it to start with but eventually i relocated them to some farmland.

Our hives are 20 metres from the house and are always visiting our pond 5 metres from the back door . In droves. - probably 100 or so at any one time. We sit outside in chairs/bench beside teh pool and watch them. And have done for over a year.

As I have voiced before, I would not tolerate nasty bees . Period. I would requeen asap. They have to tolerate me cutting the grass. And weeding. And doing what people do in gardens...

Lots of gentle bee strains around. I don't tolerate third best in behaviour..no ASBOs or prisoners here.:seeya:

Latest posts

Back