Digital STC-1000 Thermostat Temperature Controller

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dexter's shed

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
quick question for those in the know

I've got a fridge and a tubular greenhouse heater, just quickly set it up and plugged in, along with a temperature gauge inside that I can read from outside, within half an hour I was up to 65 degrees and rising, so I'm thinking I need a controller on it, so will the stc-1000 be the kiddo to use, I've watched a few youtube clips but they are all brewer types, that have heat and cooler, and the stc seems set up for this, but can it be used just with a heater ?

cheers

quick question for those in the know

I've got a fridge and a tubular greenhouse heater, just quickly set it up and plugged in, along with a temperature gauge inside that I can read from outside, within half an hour I was up to 65 degrees and rising, so I'm thinking I need a controller on it, so will the stc-1000 be the kiddo to use, I've watched a few youtube clips but they are all brewer types, that have heat and cooler, and the stc seems set up for this, but can it be used just with a heater ?

cheers

I have an STC-1000 and its really accurate if fact to within .01 of a degrees, I would recommend this to control the heating element, but do check that it can power the output rating of the heater.

There are a couple of threads on this just search STC 1000.
Like others I find them ok with no need to use the cooling output.

I have an STC-1000 and its really accurate if fact to within .01 of a degrees, I would recommend this to control the heating element, but do check that it can power the output rating of the heater.

I think the device in question will switch up to 10A.... although an older one I have states 5A volt free change over relay.

You could always use the output to switch a power relay or power resistor if concerned that the integral relay will not handle the current and weld the contacts together!.

I put a capacitor across the load just in case.

Yeghes da

Yep, perfect for the job. Empty boxes heat up really quickly, quite surprising what difference it makes with a bucket of honey in there.
Wired my stc1000 after watching a YouTube video by a Dutch bloke who was using it for brewing. Makes it all pretty simple.

Yep, perfect for the job. Empty boxes heat up really quickly, quite surprising what difference it makes with a bucket of honey in there.
Wired my stc1000 after watching a YouTube video by a Dutch bloke who was using it for brewing. Makes it all pretty simple.

and did you wire it up using his diagram ? as it shows the temperature connector being were the cooling connector is on the stc sticky panel on unit
(you know what I mean)

I have an STC-1000 and its really accurate if fact to within .01 of a degrees,-

Really? Have a read of the specs and come back to confirm. Meanwhile, I reckon everyone should ignore your post! One degree Celsius is nearer the mark, in orders of ten.

Just be selective as to which video clips you follow. Some I have seen are positively stupidly dangerous.

I would think that 65 degrees was not very typical. Heating air is rather different than heating a large volume of dense liquid, and there will be a change-of-state latent heat involved, if melting honey.

I have an STC-1000 and its really accurate if fact to within .01 of a degrees,-

Really? Have a read of the specs and come back to confirm. Meanwhile, I reckon everyone should ignore your post! One degree Celsius is nearer the mark, in orders of ten.

Just be selective as to which video clips you follow. Some I have seen are positively stupidly dangerous.

I would think that 65 degrees was not very typical. Heating air is rather different than heating a large volume of dense liquid, and there will be a change-of-state latent heat involved, if melting honey.

I use one (STC-1000) to control a queen cell incubator... accuracy is 0.1 degree, measured against an NPL certificated mercury in glass thermometer.
heating a small volume air of course.

For honey warming low and slow is the buzzword... a hot water bath best does the trick.....

+/- a degree is near enough... most thermostats will do that!

The STC 1000 is still a cheap and relatively reliable device.. even to control a heater in a waterbath

Nos da

cheers guy's, cant remember asking any + or - degree questions, as always

cheers guy's, cant remember asking any + or - degree questions, as always

But along come some smart replies that claim ridiculous accuracy from a device where it is actually in the specs as plus or minus one degrees Celsius. Read the replies - all of them.

Nothing like exagerration to try to fool the readers into thinking they are magical.

But along come some smart replies that claim ridiculous accuracy from a device where it is actually in the specs as plus or minus one degrees Celsius. Read the replies - all of them.

Nothing like exagerration to try to fool the readers into thinking they are magical.

but does it really matter???
answering is no different from the my dad is better than your dad in the playground days, my post just wanted a couple of specific answers for me, no one else, if degrees wanted to be argued new post's should have been made, too many times have I started reading post's here, only for it to totally go off track because a couple of beekeepers have different opinions, the original post then get's lost in 3 or 4 pages of arguments between other beeks, totally spoils the whole point of having a forum to ask questions on when you think about it, maybe when we need an answer, we should post something else, in the hope that we find our answer in the extra pages that get attached to it

answering is no different from the my dad is better than your dad in the playground days, my post just wanted a couple of specific answers for me, no one else, if degrees wanted to be argued new post's should have been made, too many times have I started reading post's here, only for it to totally go off track because a couple of beekeepers have different opinions, the original post then get's lost in 3 or 4 pages of arguments between other beeks, totally spoils the whole point of having a forum to ask questions on when you think about it, maybe when we need an answer, we should post something else, in the hope that we find our answer in the extra pages that get attached to it

I have got it at long last... why some forum members start their very own forums so they can peddle their own reductionist views!!

May the holism on the beekeeping forum continue.... you do not have to agree with every thing... particularly which hue of pink or blue to paint your hive/beehouse/newloo.... etc

Mytten da

I have got it at long last... why some forum members start their very own forums so they can peddle their own reductionist views!!

May the holism on the beekeeping forum continue.... you do not have to agree with every thing... particularly which hue of pink or blue to paint your hive/beehouse/newloo.... etc

Mytten da

Totally agree ... the threads that stray from the original question are often those that provide a greater insight into beekeeping - different views and solutions (broadly linked to the OP) are what maintains the interest. If you want a single answer to a single question there's another forum that more or less insists on it ...

It's not that often that threads stray into the train crash zone and even when they do there's always an element of entertainment .. as long as you keep your sense of humour.

Totally agree ... the threads that stray from the original question are often those that provide a greater insight into beekeeping - different views and solutions (broadly linked to the OP) are what maintains the interest. If you want a single answer to a single question there's another forum that more or less insists on it ...

It's not that often that threads stray into the train crash zone and even when they do there's always an element of entertainment .. as long as you keep your sense of humour.

:icon_204-2: There is nothing subtle as a train crash!:icon_204-2:

Yeghes da

Ok so if your looking to buy a reasonably reliable small incubator, what should you be looking to pay and any makes and models that have been used by you nice people would be gratefully shared!!

Ok so if your looking to buy a reasonably reliable small incubator, what should you be looking to pay and any makes and models that have been used by you nice people would be gratefully shared!!

you might get better answers if you start your own topic with the question in the topic, rather than hijacking a post on honey warmers asking about incubators:hairpull:
just my opinion mind, seems anything goes here

maybe you should have asked the question on the flo hive forum and see what kind of information you would have gleaned from that!