Different types of langstroth frame?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am planning to buy some LS frames. Looking at the Modern Beekeeping site, I note that they say some beekeepers prefer not to mix the Modern Beekeeping LS frames with other types of LS frame. Until I read this I thought an LS was an LS, but obviously not! Can anyone enlighten a novice?

I have used MB frames (I think from Swi*nty) mixed with big T's without difficulty.

I have noticed two possible areas of difference between UK and US Langstroth frames.

Lugs ...... US boxes don't generally have frame runners. The underside of the US frame lugs is shaped to allow for a wood to wood contact. On a frame runner this could affect the top bee space.

Hoffman shoulders ....... Some of the US side bars have flat/flat shoulders. Could this have an effect ?

Smokey a highly relavant point from drstitson regarding MB poly gear particlary thier supers! For me ..MD Manleys for the extractor and "standard" langstroth for cut comb. Good luck!

Smokey a highly relavant point from drstitson regarding MB poly gear particlary thier supers! For me ..MD Manleys for the extractor and "standard" langstroth for cut comb. Good luck!
Must look into this. Thanks

Are you referring to the wiring of the frames rather than the foundation?
No, i refer to the design of the frames. I now understand, if i have grasped the point, there is the modern beekeeping design which are about 10mm higher than 'standard frames'. This means that if you mix the designs the gap between the frames on the top box and the bottom box could be less, resulting in the bees gluing up the frames.

I thought there frames where Modified Dadant or Dadant not langs

Last edited:
Ah, okay, it says:
These frames have a top bar which is the same thickness all along its length. ...

That's right. It means the boxes aren't fully top bee-space. It's sort of half top bee-space and half bottom bee-space.

Based on my experience I would advise not to use them. Apart from the bee space problem they are also badly made and tend to rack or fall apart easier than the usual frames.
Kitta

"The medium Langstroths are the same as Dadant shallows."

Paradise farms do however do LS supers - according to Hannah last time i saw her they can be ordered specially by MB.

... Paradise farms do however do LS supers - according to Hannah last time i saw her they can be ordered specially by MB.

I don't understand what you're trying to say, Drstitson. Most suppliers sell Langstroth frames of all sizes - the usual frame with a shallow lug rather than the thick ones of MB.

Last edited:
the "supers" stocked by MB are LS mediums (dadant supers).
However PF (who make the poly hives) do make proper LS super (shallow) boxes. It is i believe possible to put in a special order if you really want to go down the true LS super route in MB poly.

but why bother - the poly mediums are perfectly manageable and it means you can harvest more honey from a single box.

the "supers" stocked by MB are LS mediums (dadant supers)...

No - MB Lanstroth shallows (supers) are just that: L shallows as sold by any supplier.

Langstroth medium boxes (MB's or any other supplier's) take frames that are the same size as Dadant shallows (supers) .

You are confused between Langstroth Mediums and Shallows.

The only difference between MB frames and the usual frames is the thickness of the lugs (as mentioned before)
Kitta

Just been looking at the ma^^ la%e website trying to get my head round langstroths and found myself even more confused.

SteveJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"No - MB Lanstroth shallows (supers) are just that: L shallows as sold by any supplier.
Langstroth medium boxes (MB's or any other supplier's) take frames that are the same size as Dadant shallows (supers) .
You are confused between Langstroth Mediums and Shallows."

Sorry YOU are very wrong.
MB stocks LS jumbo, deep and medium. NO true LS shallows/supers. as you say the LS meds take dadant super frames. NOTHING like the LS shallows sold by any supplier (e.g. Big T - flat LS super L0051 - 411.00mm x 508.00mm x 141.00mm
I should know - i have a mixture of both MB LS poly kit and wooden Dadants. The frames are interchangeable between the boxes used as "supers".

MB website clearly uses the term "medium" throughout FOR A REASON.

"Just been looking at the ma^^ la%e website trying to get my head round langstroths and found myself even more confused."

why? MM just do LS deep (brood) and shallows (supers).

Is it wrong to wish Finman were here?

Goodness -everyone getting their knickers in a twist here about a pattern that's supposed to be universal worldwide and simpler for everyone.Obviously much simpler if you stuck to a hive of a standard size and told this Mann Lake bloke and the rest to shove it - what about, say, a 'National'? only got shalows,deeps,and extra deeps (14x12) to worry about none of this every country having a different size 'standard' for their langstroths :D

... Sorry YOU are very wrong.
MB stocks LS jumbo, deep and medium. NO true LS shallows/supers. ...

MB website clearly uses the term "medium" throughout FOR A REASON.

Sorry Drstitson, you are right. MB only stocks Mediums - not the usual supers.

... MM just do LS deep (brood) and shallows (supers).

Again, no: if you call Medium boxes Shallows or Supers you cause confusion because those terms usually apply to the normal Langstroth supers.

Kitta

Back