Dictation Machine for beekeeping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thurrock bees

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all
i looking at getting a Dictation Machine for my inspections to make them quicker. Im thinking along the lines of having a mic inside my suit and be able to speak into the machine as i veiw the hive during the inspection and write up once home.
Currently im writing it down in rough and then copying it to my records.

Does anyone have aany experance of this?

Do you not have a recording facility on your mobile phone?

Hi all
i looking at getting a Dictation Machine for my inspections to make them quicker. Im thinking along the lines of having a mic inside my suit and be able to speak into the machine as i veiw the hive during the inspection and write up once home.
Currently im writing it down in rough and then copying it to my records.

Does anyone have aany experance of this?
Yep I use one myself . They're cheap enough and come with a wind baffle on the mic . You can stop and start , each start marked so you can upload to a computer and analyse at leasure :)
VM

I bought a ~ £15 Olympus digital recorder years ago for this.

Whatever you use, wrap it in cling film to keep the stickiness off the device - cheaper than a 'proper' cover and can be replaced quickly and easily as & when needed.

I tried this- it was embarrassing- didn't realise how much I talk to them -"come on, out of the way", "mind your head", "Morning "Ma'am" , "Oh you b....r" - and when a bee is on guard duty- on your veil - buzzing louder than words.....

Then the problem of editing as I can take a while if a big colony, and have to listen to lots of grunting as I lever up frames, heavy breathing that is more suspicious than it really is...Reverted to sticky pencil and note pad to transfer to clean notes when coffee is made.;)

That sounds so familiar Heather.
The chatter far outweighed the any relavent information. I also use an Olympus though without a mike, the buttons are large enough to work with gloves if you use an old fashioned dictaphone type like the Pearlcorder 5701. To avoid having to go through all that unwanted and involuntary waffle simply make your observations at the conclusion of an inspection, before you move onto the next hive. This I found cut down the playback time markedly.

unclesteen

Just a thought on this. You can get solid state digital voice activated recorders these days. So (in theory) you shouldn't need to fiddle with any buttons.

Bobster

Friend of mine has a mini camera and mic he uses. It was less than £20 and runs for an hour. Then home, check footage, write notes and wipe ready for next time. If anyone wants info, give me a shout and I'll get details from him.
Eb

Sorry should have said, it's a little button thingy he clips to his hood - ie no hands required.

use a dictaphone throughout the working day. just not with the bees.

records wise i just use a scrap of cardboard and a marker pen.

transfer to excel sheet later.

blackboard paint on hive roof or crownboard anyone?

Individual preference of course but I have yet to find anything better than the Beetight iPhone application. Scans pre-printed and laminated hive ID's, quick-to-enter key data, in the field; desktop access to complete records at home. Works a treat, for me at least.

The chatter far outweighed the any relavent information... To avoid having to go through all that unwanted and involuntary waffle simply make your observations at the conclusion of an inspection, before you move onto the next hive.

You want a voice activated recorder and only speak when you have something to say!

Exactly. You wouldn't stop and write things down about each frame as you go (would you?!) so there's no need to record the physical act of inspection. It's good to get into the habit of building an overall picture of a colony as you inspect, then giving a summary at the end, whether you write it down or speak for the benefit of the tape...

I was in the habit of making copious notes after each inspection. They have proved to be totally unnecessary. I keep it brief - queen seen, eggs seen, level of brood, stores, treatment, QC, weather, laying pattern, temperament, signs of disease, tasks, for run-of-the-mill inspections at least.

wish i was able to get internet access at the out apriary the beebase hive notes system is very good but just need to remeber to do it when i get home.

going to be more and more difficult as i get more hives i think.

I will give the phone recorder a try before i buy a dictation machine. It should work fine providing i dont get stung and end up calling them a load of words that i wont repeat on here lol. Thanks for the input peeps.

blackboard paint on hive roof or crownboard anyone?

Friend uses paper and pencil inside ziplock bag under each roof, leaves records there.
I've set up a small digi recorder and keep it in my beebox but with only two hives can remember what I need to record until I get indoors.

Latest posts

Back