Dep frames for supers and brood box

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our entire setup we only use brood boxes and if you get a decent extractor deep frames are no problem to extract. Its a bit heavier work but we are young lads so it all depends on convenience for yourself. We do it mainly to make everything uniform and easier to manage, also the frames cost the same and we use the same amount of bars on each box to make one half the size? May as well make the full depth.

Again all personal preference.

Pain inspecting 2 B/B's though hey?

But way faster than a single box, if only doing routine swarm checks, and way less disturbance.
Yes, "tipping" swarm-only inspections are an advantage for double brood ...

If lifting is a problem the boxes could always be dummied down inside to say 8 frames..

or smaller boxes side by side.
Or use 10-frame poly 'nationals' to save the odd kilo on the box weight and 2 kilos by avoiding the 11th all-stores frame.

A dummied-down brood box needs careful handling when shifting it - as for access to the lower box.
And it is far from ideal for routine tipping inspection.

But way faster than a single box, if only doing routine swarm checks, and way less disturbance.

I am curious to give it a go in the coming season. But can imagine breaking the b/b's apart could get messy with brace comb.

I am curious to give it a go in the coming season. But can imagine breaking the b/b's apart could get messy with brace comb.

I was expecting the same but haven't had that problem. Top box can always be turned 90 degrees if using Nationals.

Why? I've found that if there is the correct bee space between the top bars and the bottom of the frames then there isn't much mess whatever size boxes you use.

Latest posts

Back