Demarree - Earliest

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Evening, Mated swarm from late 2021 - Brood and half - large quantity of working and drone brood in both boxes.

1/ What is the earliest you would Demarree?

2/ Setup for brood and 1/2? - New brood Box, QX, Super with drawn foundation, Brood box, Half Brood, CB, Roof?

thanks

What does 'large quantity' actually mean?
2/ Setup for brood and 1/2? - New brood Box, QX, Super with drawn foundation, Brood box, Half Brood, CB, Roof?
yes, but you shouldn't need to Demarree until you have at least one super almost filled and another one added

What does 'large quantity' actually mean?

Brood Box - 6+ frames of brood + 5 frames in super above brood box+ Drone brood on several frames in brood box.

yes, but you shouldn't need to Demarree until you have at least one super almost filled and another one added. OK,

Brood Box - 6+ frames of brood + 5 frames in super above brood box+ Drone brood on several frames in brood box.
Not really anywhere near ready for a Demarree then - not even ready for a super.

Demaree with brood and a half? I personally don't like brood and a half so I would put the queen in the brood box and place an excluder between both boxes to keep her in place. Letting any drones out from the super when possible. With OSR around, you might well need another super or two before you decide to demaree and to house the bees too of course. Generally you demaree a week before you see queencells (!) if it's a preventative measure. Most colonies will be happy with 8 or 9 frames of brood without producing them.

How do you demaree a week before you see QCs?
Demaree with brood and a half? I personally don't like brood and a half so I would put the queen in the brood box and place an excluder between both boxes to keep her in place. Letting any drones out from the super when possible. With OSR around, you might well need another super or two before you decide to demaree and to house the bees too of course. Generally you demaree a week before you see queencells (!) if it's a preventative measure. Most colonies will be happy with 8 or 9 frames of brood without producing them.
How do you demaree a week before you see QCs. Surely if no QCs you can't know when to demaree?

How do you demaree a week before you see QCs. Surely if no QCs you can't know when to demaree?
Interesting I've always done it on size of colony - solid capped brood frames / honey flow.
Can't see how you can judge a week before QCs to demaree.

Surely if no QCs you can't know when to demaree?
if you find QC's it's too late for a Demarree as it's a pre-emptive method, you just need to judge the colony and know when they are likely to prepare to swarm.

As long as Q has plenty of laying room then 6 + 5 is barely 50% of laying space and is it full frames of brood or just some brood on each of the laid up frames ?

It is said the bees have made up there mind to prepare some three weeks before Qc's are seen so it is a judgement of what one see's in the colony.

A large quantity of DB could be a poorly mated queen, what % of the brood is DB ?

To late by then.
Once in swarm mode both parts will produce Q cells if one carries out the demaree to the book and that is moving all brood up.

Last edited:
If a flow is on then one needs supers to prevent clogging of laying space, as mentioned it is a judgement of how the colony is growing and foraging.

However if a Q is failing or poorly mated they will still replace her even if a demaree is undertaken.

As long as Q has plenty of laying room then 6 + 5 is barely 50% of laying space and is it full frames of brood or just some brood on each of the laid up frames ?

It is said the bees have made up there mind to prepare some three weeks before Qc's are seen so it is a judgement of what one see's in the colony.

A large quantity of DB could be a poorly mated queen, what % of the brood is DB ?

When I first came on the forum @Finman said 2/3 weeks before swarm preps.

If a flow is on then one needs supers to prevent clogging of laying space, as mentioned it is a judgement of how the colony is growing and foraging.

However if a Q is failing or poorly mated they will still replace her even if a demaree is undertaken.
Well you said it better than me :)

I run my colonies on 8 Frames in a National Box, double national , so equal in space to brood and half but vertical in effect (use a gaffer tape block of correx for the space). I tend to do a version of demaree when i get to brood over 10 - 12 frames. Here in the SE with the warm weather this year out of about a dozen colonies i have four that are now Demareed. My version is more a split than a traditonal demaree in that i put the queen downstairs mostly capped brood, expand box to 11 frames with Foundation Frames. QE, 2 x Super, QE, with entrance facing backwards, Box with eggs/brood. Allow them to raise new queen (destroy all but one or two queen cells) then merge back down to Brood/ QE with entrance forward / Brood/ QE / Supers so that I run two queen hive. If needed second box gets 11 Frames as well.

Latest posts

Back