Delay introduction of bought queen?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I currently have an AMM caged queen in a nuc setup, she has been there 3 days and still lively. I am being ultra cautious having lost an introduced queen in this colony already. I took the opportunity of placing some fondant alongside the cage which I have laid diagonally across the top of brood frames, I have also dripped water at the cage side. All of this has been done through an observation hole in an upturned feeder top box. Tomorrow we have good weather predicted and the following few days, with that the tab comes off plus I will place more fondant in proximity. I will do whatever it takes to make this work due to her being a real AMM.

Thank you for your answers. I am a bit nervous because this is my 3rd try at introducing a mated queen (over a couple of years) I did follow instructions but the bees didn't accept the queen. I tried introducing a virgin and it was very successful, but when I introduced a Buckfast virgin, they didn't like her. So now, I'm sticking to native black bees. I tried using a special 'fancy cage' as JMB called it, but it was disaster. The colony I want to introduce the new queen to is on double brood and quite strong and boisterous.I have been treating with Formic Pro and plan to remove this first. I don't know where to place the introduction cage in the hive, and whether it is best to remove the attendants or not. Does anyone have any tips to improve my chances of success?
When a queen introduction fails. Most of the time it is because there is already a virgin queen in there. New beekeepers become impatient and start to panic because they haven't seen eggs for a couple of weeks and buy a queen. I know because that was me in my first few seasons. I had a colony this year that had me wondering. A month after leaving one swarm cell and I finally saw eggs.

Back