Dehumidifiers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barbara99

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a lot of frames this year only half capped and the honey measures 19 plus, I am wondering if anyone had advice on using a dehumidifier to get the water content down and if so would you do it on the frames or with the extracted honey. Thank you

In the frames. Stack the supers up over a fan heater with a dehumidifier in the room. Use smallest room you have …. Not the loo
That’s how I did it before I invested in a dryer. Hardly use it for that but it’s brilliant for keeping supers warm in the extraction queue

I have a lot of frames this year only half capped and the honey measures 19 plus, I am wondering if anyone had advice on using a dehumidifier to get the water content down and if so would you do it on the frames or with the extracted honey. Thank you
Thanks for the advice, really useful

I had some wet honey last year at 21% I extracted it and ran it slowly through a double strainer 3 times with the dry emerging air from a dehumidifier blowing under the strainer. The honey went down to 17%

To maximise airflow through the stack, put the first super on two lengths of timber, then stack each super at 90° to the next.
I get the timber supports at the base but with frames perpendicular to each other aren't you limiting airflow? Murray M/ITLD often talks about bees preferring vertical corridors achieved by having frames on the same spacing throughout the hive, one of the perceived benefits thought to be better airflow.

What sort of dryer did you get Dani? I was going to set up something this year to reduce water content in honey. I may just invest in a dehumidifier and stack supers.
It's Abelo's supers honey warmer. It will take six (I think) supers. I put an empty one on first. It works really well but only for hobby keeper quantities. It's taken around 24 hours per stack. I haven't used it for that for quite a while but I think it will come in useful this year. There is only so much honey I can put under the bees

It's Abelo's supers honey warmer. It will take six (I think) supers. I put an empty one on first. It works really well but only for hobby keeper quantities. It's taken around 24 hours per stack. I haven't used it for that for quite a while but I think it will come in useful this year. There is only so much honey I can put under the bees
I have had to gamble with the uncapped as I had nothing to reduce moisture content. My buckets come in at 19% for the moment 🤞

a few years ago I extracted honey that was in the early 20% moisture and put a couple of buckets into my honey warming cabinet @ 38C, with a tray of desiccant. I mixed the honey twice a day before testing to ensure accurate measurement of bulk honey. this brought moisture content below 18 in a couple of days. Same could be achieved in a low oven, but might not be popular with other oven users with that timeframe ;)

Latest posts

Back