Deformed Wing Symptoms

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hello! I have had one hive die already this fall. I checked the hive a few weeks ago and notices a significant amount of bees with seriously deformed wings. The past week we had a few cold nights and I just found the hive entirely dead. I also have another hive showing similar signs but with a larger population and more stores. Another detail is that I noticed a few bees that were so deformed that they died in the pupae stage.

My recent hive operations and status are as follows. All of my hives have specially mated queens that are high quality, with supposedly good hygiene, and less than 8 months old. I have been feeding the hives that are low on honey stores with some 2/3 sugar to 1/3 water syrup as preparation for winter. I treated all of my hives with formic acid in mid August. I treated all of my hives again with apiguard (Thymol) the last week of September. I currently have 5 live hives.

Next, I have a few questions about this issue.
1st, are deformed wings only a sign of deformed wing virus or are there other causes?
2nd, are varroa mites likely to blame for my situation? Should I treat more this fall?
3rd, what should I do with the hive that is still alive and experiencing deformed wings?
4th, could a pollen shortage lead or add to a problem like this? I noticed over the past month or two that few bees were bringing in pollen although a lot of eggs were begin laid by the queen (I am now feeding pollen substitute for a the last few warm days this fall).
5th, is it ok to feed the stores from the dead colony to the others that need more stores?

I understand this is a lot of questions without absolute answers but I would like to get some feedback and ideas. Also, feel free to ask any questions. Thanks!

are varroa mites likely to blame for my situation?

Definitely - sounds like you have let your varroa levels get to a critical level

Should I treat more this fall?
they may have reached a tipping point, but the only chance of recovery is to treat
3rd, what should I do with the hive that is still alive and experiencing deformed wings?
treat and feed, hope for the best
could a pollen shortage lead or add to a problem like this?
No - they are suffering from varoosis. I also suspect, reading between the lines that some may be starving.
In a nutcase, you need to tackle your varroa issues - treat all your colonies as a matter of urgency and also feed them heavily with 2:1 sugar syrup or invert.

Latest posts

Back