Dedicated Honey Extraction Rooms

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beebreeder

Field Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lots
As a relatively new member of the BFA I am trying to find out the best way to go about building a dedicated Honey House, do i need planning permission or would i still be waiting in xx years time, do i build in timber and vermin proof and line with Anti Bac, etc etc etc, there is loads about the subject on Beesource but on american scale and apart from Murray and a few others most of us do not get near that size of operation in the uk. Ideas/suggestions please. I want to get this sorted before my wife and I fall out!!!!!:hairpull:

Hi Kev,
I can only relay my own experience. Our honey room is a renovation of an existing agricultural building (a delapidated cartshed). It's not change of use (in planning terms) so we didn't need permission. Our landlord works for the local planning dept. so we were confident in that assesment.
But this was on the basis that the primary purpose was agricultural. I don't know how we'd be affected if we did contract bottling for example.
Sorry, probably of limited use for your new-build scenario.

I am not sure about the planning laws but we have ours in a sectioned off part of the garage, the remaining section is used for storing supers etc, hopefully this is a temporary measure as we intend to purchase a container to convert into an purpose built unit at a local nursery chain who we supply and also have some stocks of bees there, they have all the agricultural licences etc so no problem with planning or change of use etc just got to get water and electric supply sorted ! a another job for next year, is there someone at the BFA that would know about about the relevant planning laws Kev ? i am hoping to ask J.C if i can visit his setup early next year if he is in agreement perhaps you would like to come along as well it could answer some of your questions i will keep you posted. Chris

As a relatively new member of the BFA I am trying to find out the best way to go about building a dedicated Honey House, do i need planning permission or would i still be waiting in xx years time, do i build in timber and vermin proof and line with Anti Bac, etc etc etc, there is loads about the subject on Beesource but on american scale and apart from Murray and a few others most of us do not get near that size of operation in the uk. Ideas/suggestions please. I want to get this sorted before my wife and I fall out!!!!!:hairpull:

Not sure how it works in England, but up here if you contacted your environmental health dept (who do the food safety stuff) for friendly advice they are usually very happy to give it. Better get off on the right foot with them than go in for a prolonged bout of crossed swords with them which in the end only has one winner anyway.

Do not lie down to everything they ask for as they CAN recommend way OTT set-ups and thus big costs. Our experience of them is, however, that they appreciate the realities we operate under, the economics of our situation, and that honey is a low risk product.

Weather and insect proof
Easy to clean room, especially in the dingy corners and the floor.
Wipeable surfaces.
Ample water supply, including hot water.
Dual sink (one side for utensil washing, one for rinsing) and a distinct and separate hand washing basin.
Suitable drainage.
Suitable clearly displayed vermin control policy and personal hygeine policy. Record books to demonstrate implimentation of these.
Insectocutors commensurate with the volume of the room.

Depending on your scale it can actually be pretty simple.

Thanks for the info Murray, getting involved with local authorities usually takes loads of time and money, don't get me wrong I want it right but was asking how others have gone about it. Chris your input as ever is also useful as one of the local farms has just got rid of their dairy herd leaving buildings out of use, perhaps another avenue to look down. I have plenty of room in the garden but fear I would have to get change of use etc from the council

Well its nearly a year since this started and I now have permission to build a "Honey Extraction Facility" with restrictions, as yet I have nothing on paper but the Architects that did the plans said it is all standard stuff, the building will hopefully deal with honey from up to 100 hives (I do not intend to run more than that) If anyone is interested I will take and upload images as things progress. Excellent architects, they are dealing with another BFA members application (he recomended them)

That is good news Kev, i would like to see the photos as it progresses, good luck with your project, i hope all goes well. chris

I forgot to ask when do you think it will be up and running Kev in time for the new season or just as soon as possible ?, i expect i will have to extend mine next year as well Chris

Ready to use for next season hopefully Chris, a fair bit to arrange in the new year as I have building regs to follow.

Back