• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Decided its time to give in Sutton Bridge Lincolnshire (some kit up for grabs)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyJThompson

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,

After a long and hard decision I have decided that this is not the hobby for me my body reacts with increasing severity after every sting, which has now left me in a position where I fear opening up just in case. A feeling of illness now last 4 days so from my health and families point of view I have to be realistic. So I have a location and equipment( though nothing fancy ) which I am willing to let go for a bit money to some one who is interested idealy for me its some one who is looking for their first location. Along with my kit there are 2 wbc hives which require looking after for local farmer. The kit is theirs but any reward in honey the bee keepers to keep. I now do not check this forum much so please send emails to Andyjthompson @ live . Co . Uk

The bees have not been opened this year as I always find a reason now not to go. I will try to go look to see if there is anything going on.

Location close to Sutton Bridge Lincolnshire

Last edited:
If you want to give up, you want to give up.
And that is fair enough.

However, clinically severe sting reactions can be overcome by desensitisation therapy (a course of injections), available on the NHS though likely involving some travelling.

And if your bees are too 'fierce', its not too hard (or very expensive) to re-queen from seriously docile stock so that you have a bunch of pussycats to deal with.
Your Association should be able to provide help, if need be, with the actual requeening operations.

Always sad to hear of anyone giving up, but if that is your decision, it is entirely yours to make.
If you are set on giving up, then you may find a member of your local Association that may be interested in taking up your kit, etc. Well worth spreading the word in that direction.

Sad to hear that, tough decision to make :( You're not too far from me either, try the West Norfolk and Kings Lynn association maybe as I think that would be the closest to you

I have decided that I will be giving it up so just hoping with contacting some people I may be able to get it sorted and some one else can get the benefit of the location and hobby

Itma

Desensitisation therapy is not available on the NHS unless you have suffered an anaphylactic reaction. Even then you may well just be told to give up your bees and sent home with an epi pen. Therapy, if you do get offered it takes upto 4 years. Not a quick fix by any means.

Andy. As someone who also suffers from severe reactions to stings I sympathise. Very sad your health forces you to give up a wonderful hobby. Good luck with finding a buyer.

Obee

It's actually available if you have had any allergic reaction. It doesn't have to be life threatening.

It may differ from region to region, but here in Kent it is definitely available to patients who have not gone into shock. Systemic reaction seems sufficient.

will ring you in the morning mate, you are only 3 miles from me, we will sort something out.
Pete
have pm'd you

And that is fair enough.

However, clinically severe sting reactions can be overcome by desensitisation therapy (a course of injections), available on the NHS though likely involving some travelling. etc

yes and it appears to work

we have a beekeepers who was hospitalsied twice for three days becasue her reaction to stings was so severe and she has to carry two Epipens

However she had the course of the desensitisation injections which at first made her ill for three days onn each weekley injection but last week after 6 mths of desensitisation injections she was stung by a bee from her hive and had only a slight reaction , This casued great celebration at thdesensitisation clinic from other beekeepers attending for their injections THEY had hope of it working for them to

Sorry, why give this bloke a hard time? Maybe he would find it impossible to attend the multitude of appointments due to work, I know I would. I'm sure Andy is well aware of desensitisation and decided it's not practical for him.

Sorry, why give this bloke a hard time? Maybe he would find it impossible to attend the multitude of appointments due to work, I know I would. I'm sure Andy is well aware of desensitisation and decided it's not practical for him.
:iagree:
He's obviously though hard and long about the matter and has stated his intentions - very mature and not the usual panicked kneejerk we see so much on here he's asked for help not an inquest and diatribe about why he must take desensitisation treatment and carry on - but I'm sure Mr Davies will have contacted him by now with an agreeable solution

Yes all sorted, known Andy about 3 or 4 years, sensible chap who knows what is best for him, his family and the bees.
He has just completed a very nice eco type house self build, it will be featured on BBC 2 later in the year.

Been and seen the bees and we have a plan of action.

Hard time?

I might get the impression I was being given a hard time!

I actually thought that I was constructively addressing the specific points the OP raised.
What he said was ...
Hi all,

After a long and hard decision I have decided that this is not the hobby for me my body reacts with increasing severity after every sting, which has now left me in a position where I fear opening up just in case. A feeling of illness now last 4 days so from my health and families point of view I have to be realistic. So I have a location and equipment( though nothing fancy ) which I am willing to let go ...

The bees have not been opened this year as I always find a reason now not to go. I will try to go look to see if there is anything going on.

What I actually said was
And that is fair enough.

However, clinically severe sting reactions can be overcome by desensitisation therapy (a course of injections), available on the NHS though likely involving some travelling.

And if your bees are too 'fierce', its not too hard (or very expensive) to re-queen from seriously docile stock so that you have a bunch of pussycats to deal with.
Your Association should be able to provide help, if need be, with the actual requeening operations.

Always sad to hear of anyone giving up, but if that is your decision, it is entirely yours to make.
If you are set on giving up, then you may find a member of your local Association that may be interested in taking up your kit, etc. Well worth spreading the word in that direction.

In what way is that giving anyone a hard time? :confused:
Serious sting reactions need not cause giving up.
Neither should aggressive bees.

Does the ignore button work both ways?
I mean if you ignore somebody can they see your posts or is it just that you don't see theirs?
Just curious.

Does the ignore button work both ways?
I mean if you ignore somebody can they see your posts or is it just that you don't see theirs?
Just curious.

I wish it did work both ways!

You only miss out on their 'comments'.

I wish it did work both ways!

You only miss out on their 'comments'.

I'm guessing more than a few would be happier without the condescending bold type, itallic, inverted commas, underlining, brackets and whatever else. The guy told us his intentions and asked if anyone was interested, he certainly did not need desensitisation explained to him.

Hit ignore as much as you like it doesn't alter the fact. ;)

Thank you all for the insightful posts....I think...

I had made my decision after lots of time and thought. Now hopefully with PeteD help the bees can be managed. If any one here has ever suffered the way I do now with bee stings then maybe they will understand. Just for the record I have not tried to make loads of money from the process, just happy its finally over.

And yes please look out for 100k House on BBC2 in the autumn our new house will be featured in one of the episodes. Hopefully I have attached it.

Andy

Attachments

• 3000231.jpg
    3000231.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back