Deaths head hawk moth.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hivemaker.

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Have many other members seen deaths head hawk moths around their hives,just found a large one,apparently they enter hives for the honey.
Also makes a rather loud squeaking noise,but a lovely looking moth.

Wow! Would love to have seen it! Don't think there's much chance of one searching out my bees, they're stinking of your thymolised syrup rather than honey!

Spooky - I have just finished reading "Silence of the Lambs" where a Deaths Head Moth makes an appearance not in a Beehive though.

The catapillers look like snakes and they eat rosebay willowherb, bred some a few years ago

They are a big problem here and we have all the hives and nucs fitted with guards to keep them, hornets and wasps out. Up to 10 can be found in a nuc and they can create so much havoc that the nucs abscond. There is a mass migration from Europe to Africa and they make an appearance in August.

I have not seen any adults but have seen the caterpillars they are huge! but i have seen hummingbird moths this year they are amazing a carbon copy of a humming bird , you have to look very closely to see it is actually a moth, great to see, nature is wonderful isn't it. chris

Found a dead one outside...after looking at its rather severe mouth I was glad it was dead...now to check the hive....

Hi there.

Found a dead one outside...after looking at its
rather severe mouth I was glad it was dead...now to check the hive....

It is only a moth and like practically all (very few exceptions exist) Lepidoptera their mouth parts are greatly reduced and the Galeae are elongated and linked to form the Proboscis.
So what I am saying is: Do not despair! They can't bite!
With scent and sound they fool the bees and gain access to the hive where they refuel for their long trip to Africa.
They have always done so and always will (if mankind doesn't kill everything off).

Yes, I am sure they can become a "pest" if you live and have your bees on a migratory route....that's life I suppose. It's probably like placing a table full of chocolate cakes in front of a weight watchers center.

Found a large male stag beetle in one of my hives about two months ago...the bees had killed it off sadly.

Greets
phil

I must admit I hadn't realised that death's head hawkmoths could be such a hive pest. I suppose if there's enough of them they could eat a fair amount, but on the whole I think of them as squatters more than thieves.

I haven't found one actually in a hive recently, but there was one tucked in between a couple of frames on my workbench last weekend. (I had kept these out as examples for our local Wildlife Trust to use in their Big Draw event; drawn honeycomb is always popular with the kids, who enjoy copying the little hexagons. Perhaps the moth was attracted by the honey smell.)

It was a real beauty, with a perfect skull pattern - usually it's more impressionistic than realistic, but this one looked like something out of a graphic novel. I put it outside into sheltered corner. It was surprisingly strong, not biting of course but pushing very firmly with its fuzzy legs. Marvellous creatures.

Btw, the Natural History Museum has some fascinating info about these moths, including some of the ways in which they are thought to survive inside the beehive: http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/species-of-the-day/evolution/acherontia-atropos/behaviour/index.html

I had always wondered about the "death's head" pattern. The theory on the above website is that it resembles a worker bee, and, now I come to think about it, this is true, right down to the little "antennae" at the top of the "skull".

Last edited:
Moth chappie on Radio 4 this morning talking about how many have been swept up in the recent warm Southerly winds, including deaths head.

Let's hope you didn't get any Asian Hornet Queens "swept" across La Manche or as some may know it, Oceanus Britannicus.:D

Chris

Latest posts

Back