Dead bees.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seeing that most foragers die in the field , how do you estimate the numbers of forages lost?
The reduction in colony size ? Which of course is also related to reduction in egg laying !
Do you rely on intuition?
Winter bees bred for a long life rather than any immediate requirement as field bees, how to they fit into the equation ?
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With you on this one, 500 is a very low number to lose

12 frame 14x12 of 65,000 bees in July, early September has approx 50,000 bees reduces 15-20,000 on 4 frames early March,

So say 30,000-40,000 bees die in 26 weeks and that averages out at 1000- 1500 die per week, ok death rate is not linear but i expect my hives are now around 35,000, perhaps finman will tell us the average death rate per week over winter

Last edited:
Hi VM and MM,
My OP says so far and it is the ones that are dead outside the one hive. I count them at the moment until I get better at estimating a bunch of dead bees and for the benefit of the more picky members of the forum. OMF seems amazingly clear on the ones I can get my head under! I do appreciate that most foragers die in the field, but in winter during clustering common sense tells me that most die in the hive. A lot of people have described finding a carpet of bees in the hives in the spring as I did, but all was well.

normal - bees die all the time.
in winter they'll just get chucked out near hive rather than flown and dumped.
relax.

normal - bees die all the time.
in winter they'll just get chucked out near hive rather than flown and dumped.
relax.

Hi drstitson,
I am relaxed just keen on looking after my livestock. Amazing what a difference a year of successful overwintering makes!

Hi VM and MM,
OMF seems amazingly clear on the ones I can get my head under!

Not many on mine either but then it has been warm enough to keep the bees active enough to sortie out for a poo.
Bees that drop off the cluster usually have their wings extended right out and look like they've splayed out on the floor

Not many on mine either but then it has been warm enough to keep the bees active enough to sortie out for a poo.
Bees that drop off the cluster usually have their wings extended right out and look like they've splayed out on the floor

Interesting little nugget Ericha - thanks.

Dead Bees

I also did a visual check on my bees this weekend and found approx. 200 dead bees in total around both hives and some were clinging onto hive. So should I assume that some were dead in hive and evicted by bees and those clinging to hive got caught out by cold weather? Was warm yesterday so had a quick look at end frames in both hives and they were empty of stores. Are they hungry perhaps? Later in afternoon the bees were flying around both entrances to hives like new brood does. The noise from them was very loud!!! Could it be new brood because of mild weather? You can tell I am a newbie as I am worrying. Any advice greatly appreciated.

I also did a visual check on my bees this weekend and found approx. 200 dead bees in total around both hives and some were clinging onto hive. So should I assume that some were dead in hive and evicted by bees and those clinging to hive got caught out by cold weather? Was warm yesterday so had a quick look at end frames in both hives and they were empty of stores. Are they hungry perhaps? Later in afternoon the bees were flying around both entrances to hives like new brood does. The noise from them was very loud!!! Could it be new brood because of mild weather? You can tell I am a newbie as I am worrying. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Hi PennyB,
Dead bees situations seems perfectly normal. I had plenty of orientation flights by new fluffy bees too. Since you are in Kent I assume that it has not been very cold your way, so they may have been brooding. Assuming that there were stores on those empty frames before I would put some fondant directly onto frames to be on the safe side if they feel light! There is no room for complacency in beekeeping, so don't feel bad about showing concern!

I also did a visual check on my bees this weekend ... Was warm yesterday so had a quick look at end frames in both hives and they were empty of stores. ... You can tell I am a newbie as I am worrying. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Empty frames doesn't sound good.
Have you hefted/weighed?
How much stores did they have at your last full inspection?

Fondant feeding seems likely to be called for.
Have you sorted out a potential supplier?
And have you got 'Apiguard' ekes to allow you to put on big chunks of fondant?

Hi PennyB,
Dead bees situations seems perfectly normal. I had plenty of orientation flights by new fluffy bees too. Since you are in Kent I assume that it has not been very cold your way, so they may have been brooding. Assuming that there were stores on those empty frames before I would put some fondant directly onto frames to be on the safe side if they feel light! There is no room for complacency in beekeeping, so don't feel bad about showing concern!

There were stores on these empty frames. Thank you for your help.

Empty frames doesn't sound good.
Have you hefted/weighed?
How much stores did they have at your last full inspection?

Fondant feeding seems likely to be called for.
Have you sorted out a potential supplier?
And have you got 'Apiguard' ekes to allow you to put on big chunks of fondant?

No, empty frames isn't good. Have to admit I haven't hefted/weighed. They had stores right out to last frames. If they have new brood I assume they would have needed to use the stores.

Haven't got a potential supplier as I was told that fondant wouldn't be needed until Jan/Feb. A beekeeper of 30 years checked my hive with me the last time and said I had plenty of stores in both hives!!

Haven't got ekes but was going to use super with quilt over fondant (when I find where to get it).

Latest posts

Back