Dead bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Noticed quite a few dead outside my hives since the temperature started to drop down to 5 degrees.

Oh well, at least there'll be more food for those that are left.

Got some work to do on wife's car but if its too cold for the bees to work can I take the same option?

Went to an out apiary today and a hive had about 50-100 dead bees outside it. Everything else seemed fine. They have been treated with apiguard. Could it be the cold, possibly the thymol smell or is does it indicate something is wrong?
I note you have four hives. Were there dead bees around them all or only one hive? If the latter there could be a problem. I have dead bees around one of seven hives but not much I can do about it at this time off year.

Hi farbee I'm sorry about your dead bees and its a bit of an odd one but I'm an art student doing some work around conservation and have spent the past week tirelessly looking for some dead bees if you still have them could I maybe take some off you hands?
If anyone else can offer any help with this it would be hugely appreciated
Kind regards, Sophie

Hi farbee I'm sorry about your dead bees and its a bit of an odd one but I'm an art student doing some work around conservation and have spent the past week tirelessly looking for some dead bees if you still have them could I maybe take some off you hands?
If anyone else can offer any help with this it would be hugely appreciated
Kind regards, Sophie
Welcome to the forum Sophie.m :)
There have been similar requests from art students in the past...bee-smillie

200 dead bees a day may be quite normal this time yof year [Winston]

200 dead bees a day may be quite normal this time yof year

Not for me it isn't and even a few weeks ago that number wouldn't be dead in front of one of my hives.

Chris

Just giving the research on this by Winston [ a relaible and high quality source], you may not see 200 but there will be loads of bodies you don't see. Mid sept to end dec is typically greater than 200 bees/day for a fresh swarm may / june this year [15000 mid sept to 6000 end dec linear decline], if you have a bigger colony the numbers may be larger. What are your numbers?

Had a similar thing in one of my hives, a fairly weak one. They were the casualties from a robbing session that they thankfully won.

Farbe

How are they for stores? I wouldn't be to concerned as long as it doesn't continue...
...after all, it's a good sign they were ejected.

Hi I was just wondering if dead bees are quite normal this time of year would anbody be able to maybe collect some for me? I'm an art student doing work in conservation and have been tearing my hair out trying to find dead bees this time of year if anyone can help me in any way I would greatly appreciate it and of course pay you for your troubles! I know it's a bit of a strange one but basically I've made the piece of work before and have recently been asked to exhibit it but as they don't last very long, poor guys, I have to remake it! My contact is Sophie(dot)p(dot)mahon@gmail(dot)com- sorry wasn't allowed to put it properly if anyone can help please contact me! Thanks, Sophie

Aha no it's all about 2b... Does anybody think they might be able to help? And all digging I'm trapping them in resin :)

Same thing ten days ago

My first Winter for bees so I have been keeping a close eye on my two hives. I had exactly the same happen with one of my hives a couple of weeks ago. I noticed loads of dead bees (panic) - other than this everything appeared to be just buzzy.
I had a look underneath the hive and could see a cluster under the hive hanging onto the OMF. I encouraged these to move (only a few left by the time I finished) and I put a board on the ground under the hive.
Over the next few days only a few bees returned to the UMF position and there were only a handful of dead bodies on the board.

Not for me it isn't and even a few weeks ago that number wouldn't be dead in front of one of my hives.

Chris

But what is the weather like compared to here?

Farbe

How are they for stores? I wouldn't be to concerned as long as it doesn't continue...
...after all, it's a good sign they were ejected.

Lots of stores.

Checked again. No nomesa found. Will hope for the best as there is little I can do at this time of year.

Latest posts

Back