Dead bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farbee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Went to an out apiary today and a hive had about 50-100 dead bees outside it. Everything else seemed fine. They have been treated with apiguard. Could it be the cold, possibly the thymol smell or is does it indicate something is wrong?

50 to 100 is a lot, 5 or 6, even 10 maybe but not that amount.

I would be concerned if they were mine at this time of year.

I can't comment re treating and possible after effects.

Chris

Chris

:iagree:

How has the weather been? Your 50-100 does sound quite a few, do they look as if there is anything wrong with them? (Apart from being dead, of couse :) ) We find that after a few days of bad weather when the undertaker bees have not had a chance to take the bodies further to dump them, there will be 5-10 bees just outside the hive on the landing mats. Also, the creatures that clear up the bodies, such as wasps, small birds may have been affected by teh weather.

How has the weather been? Your 50-100 does sound quite a few, do they look as if there is anything wrong with them? (Apart from being dead, of couse :) ) We find that after a few days of bad weather when the undertaker bees have not had a chance to take the bodies further to dump them, there will be 5-10 bees just outside the hive on the landing mats. Also, the creatures that clear up the bodies, such as wasps, small birds may have been affected by teh weather.

Yes, and being an out apiary, it will have been some days since last visited.
A few dozen doesn't seem that unusual after the first proper chill and then some wet and windy days. Because of the bad weather, undertaker bees wouldn't go far.
It also depends on what the ground is. You'll see lots more on bare ground, membrane, paving, etc than you ever will with long grass ... Snow shows them up too ...

Sure, note it down. But it shouldn't be cause for panic. Not enough dead bees and rather unlikely weather for it to be spray poisoning.
Absent any other reported symptoms, not totally unusual. But worth keeping an eye open for other symptoms.

Yes, and being an out apiary, it will have been some days since last visited.
A few dozen doesn't seem that unusual after the first proper chill and then some wet and windy days. Because of the bad weather, undertaker bees wouldn't go far.
It also depends on what the ground is. You'll see lots more on bare ground, membrane, paving, etc than you ever will with long grass ... Snow shows them up too ...

Sure, note it down. But it shouldn't be cause for panic. Not enough dead bees and rather unlikely weather for it to be spray poisoning.
Absent any other reported symptoms, not totally unusual. But worth keeping an eye open for other symptoms.

Thanks, they are on a pallet so are easily visible. It would definantly not be as easy to spot if entrance is directly over grass. Will keep a close eye on them.

Weather has been cold, wet & windy with the odd decent calm day.
I hope this is the reason.

Chris

Well yes I am concerned too.:hairpull:

Have you tested for nosema, and have they got a mated laying queen, did you end up doing an AS on this one in August.

If above is okay then just natural die off of old foragers.

Last edited:
Have you tested for nosema, and have they got a mated laying queen, did you end up doing an AS on this one in August.

No nosema found. They had a laying queen mid way through September. Colony came from a AS in May. Has been doing well otherwise.

If above is okay then just natural die off of old foragers.

I know we are not totally in sync here with the UK but are you saying that number in front of the hive at this time of year is normal for you?

It's the sort of number I might expect to see after a late sudden cold spell in March.

Chris

Not something i would be particularily worried about at this time of year,old bees still working the ivy in chilly weather. May be different if there were piles of them every day.

Chris , The weathers been pretty rough here for some time so a build up of dead bees is possible , just the first opportunity for them to be cleared .

Farbee . Try to relax , which i know is hard , but you cant do much with it now this late in the yr anyway .

G

Chris , The weathers been pretty rough here for some time so a build up of dead bees is possible , just the first opportunity for them to be cleared .

Farbee . Try to relax , which i know is hard , but you cant do much with it now this late in the yr anyway .

G

Thanks. I'll try to chill (easy in this weather). This is only my second winter so have alot to learn.

Not something i would be particularily worried about at this time of year,old bees still working the ivy in chilly weather. May be different if there were piles of them every day.

That is reassuring HM (but I hope there are not many on my next visit).

Latest posts

Back