Dead bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi I was just wondering if dead bees are quite normal this time of year would anbody be able to maybe collect some for me? I'm an art student doing work in conservation and have been tearing my hair out trying to find dead bees this time of year if anyone can help me in any way I would greatly appreciate it and of course pay you for your troubles! I know it's a bit of a strange one but basically I've made the piece of work before and have recently been asked to exhibit it but as they don't last very long, poor guys, I have to remake it! My contact is Sophie(dot)p(dot)mahon@gmail(dot)com- sorry wasn't allowed to put it properly if anyone can help please contact me! Thanks, Sophie

PM sent.

Just giving the research on this by Winston [ a relaible and high quality source], you may not see 200 but there will be loads of bodies you don't see. Mid sept to end dec is typically greater than 200 bees/day for a fresh swarm may / june this year [15000 mid sept to 6000 end dec linear decline], if you have a bigger colony the numbers may be larger. What are your numbers?

I agree in principle that there will be loads of bodies that I won't see because they die away from the hive when working but that isn't the same as seeing 50 to 100 that have been brought out of the hive dead. Those numbers, as I said, I would consider very unusual at this time of year. Pointless me guessing at my colony sizes, they will all be different and cover a wide population range due to genetic make up and type - plus they don't get opened from the beginning of September until March.

But what is the weather like compared to here?

Over the last few weeks or so no real difference, we have had a mixture of cold winds, sharp frosts and days and days of rain with high winds. No nice pleasant weather at all.

Either way I have observed my bees year after year after year and have an extremely good idea of what I expect to see and when taking differing conditions into account.

Chris

I agree in principle that there will be loads of bodies that I won't see because they die away from the hive when working but that isn't the same as seeing 50 to 100 that have been brought out of the hive dead. Those numbers, as I said, I would consider very unusual at this time of year. Pointless me guessing at my colony sizes, they will all be different and cover a wide population range due to genetic make up and type - plus they don't get opened from the beginning of September until March.

Over the last few weeks or so no real difference, we have had a mixture of cold winds, sharp frosts and days and days of rain with high winds. No nice pleasant weather at all.

Either way I have observed my bees year after year after year and have an extremely good idea of what I expect to see and when taking differing conditions into account.

Chris

Looking at your weather today: 18 oC and 12oC at night.

Here it was 8 oC and -1 oC

Seems different to me but if you insist.

It obviously isn't the same day by day and location by location BUT overall the same for the last few weeks. Actually it's been pissing down for the last 5 days, the fields are flooded and I have to negotiate the "pond" to get in and out of the house.

Frankly pointless nit picking where no nits exist.

Chris

:iagree: with 2 other replies regarding robbing, a few dead bees this time of year I would say as normal but a few hundred I would consider worrying.

farbe

as asked earlier, are you still getting quantities of dead bees being ejected in front of the hive?

farbe

as asked earlier, are you still getting quantities of dead bees being ejected in front of the hive?

Hi sorry.
As it is an out apiary I have only been there on Friday (i.e I don't go every day so don't know yet). Will drop by early in the week and see then.

It obviously isn't the same day by day and location by location BUT overall the same for the last few weeks. Actually it's been pissing down for the last 5 days, the fields are flooded and I have to negotiate the "pond" to get in and out of the house.

Frankly pointless nit picking where no nits exist.

Chris

I would say that the weather conditions between here and mid France is very relevant rather than nit picking. Surely should not be simply dismissed.
(And you don't mention the temperature I notice but no doubt you will come back with it was -10 oC)

I repeat.

The point is that there has been no substantial difference overall, certainly not enough to alter bee behaviour overall.

Chris

Farbe

hopefully it will have been a one off - maybe the casualties of a commando robbing raid or a patch of emerging brood caught out in a cold spot.

Let us know if it's still going on next time you visit

originally posted by Elaine do they look if there is anything wrong with them? apart from being dead. ROCK ON. sorry couldnt resist it.

Hi sorry.
As it is an out apiary I have only been there on Friday (i.e I don't go every day so don't know yet). Will drop by early in the week and see then.

Dropped by my out ariary today.

About 20 dead bees outside the hive today. That represent 4/5 per day.

Other hives had some dead bee around the front but as they are on stands the bodies fall into the grass so it is difficult to know exactly how many there are.

OK, farbee

imo that's nothing to be too worried about. all I suggest is make sure you do the oxalic acid treatment at the appropriate time

rich

OK, farbee

imo that's nothing to be too worried about. all I suggest is make sure you do the oxalic acid treatment at the appropriate time

rich

Thanks. The activity around the hive has really decreased in this last week or so.

I am planning to do oxalic acid treatment at Christmas.

Farbee

The activity around the hive has really decreased in this last week or so

...as it should be.

A rule of thumb for the OA trickling treatment is to do it 21 days after your first frost....by which time there should be no sealed brood so all the V mites are exposed.

r

Latest posts

Back