dead and dying bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidJ

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I'm perplexed. 5 days ago I put in top feeders to my two 12-frame hives. All seemed to be going well. I put in the feeders on the advice of a local beekeeper who said that food supplies were thin this time of year (mid-August). I live in the Alps at 900 meters surrounded by hay fields.

When I came home, there were hundreds of bees dead in front of each hive. I noticed lots of fighting at the entrances so I assumed that there was a significant amount of robbing happening, most probably my fault for having attracted other bees with the feeders. I took out the feeders (which were mostly empty). I examined the hives and one hive was full of nectar but very little brood. I saw no eggs but the hive appears to be building out the top frames for stocking honey. The second hive is full of healthy brood (it had a late start because of a defunct queen that I replaced in early July), and only slowly building out the outer frames.

today I noticed bees coming out of hive #1 carrying dead or dying bees. This worries me and changes my original hypothesis that all of the dead bees in front of the hive are a result of fighting around robbing. I'm beginning to think something more sinister is at play. But what? A disease? Did they inadvertently bring home a pesticide (unlikely in my neighborhood). Why would there be so many dead and dying bees in such a short period of time this late in the season??

Can anyone give me some advice, please?

Have you got a body over there like the NBU that you could send a sample of bees to?

I'm perplexed. 5 days ago I put in top feeders to my two 12-frame hives. All seemed to be going well. I put in the feeders on the advice of a local beekeeper who said that food supplies were thin this time of year (mid-August). I live in the Alps at 900 meters surrounded by hay fields.

When I came home, there were hundreds of bees dead in front of each hive. I noticed lots of fighting at the entrances so I assumed that there was a significant amount of robbing happening, most probably my fault for having attracted other bees with the feeders. I took out the feeders (which were mostly empty). I examined the hives and one hive was full of nectar but very little brood. I saw no eggs but the hive appears to be building out the top frames for stocking honey. The second hive is full of healthy brood (it had a late start because of a defunct queen that I replaced in early July), and only slowly building out the outer frames.

today I noticed bees coming out of hive #1 carrying dead or dying bees. This worries me and changes my original hypothesis that all of the dead bees in front of the hive are a result of fighting around robbing. I'm beginning to think something more sinister is at play. But what? A disease? Did they inadvertently bring home a pesticide (unlikely in my neighborhood). Why would there be so many dead and dying bees in such a short period of time this late in the season??

Maybe one hive was robbing the other.
If I experienced your scenario I would presume just that.

If you need to feed then you should place your feeders in the day but fill them with syrup in the evening when the bees have stopped flying

If that another hive was too week, they could not resist robbers..

But during feeding robbing is quite normal and dead bees in front of entrance.

Last edited:
I'm beginning to think something more sinister is at play. But what? A disease? Did they inadvertently bring home a pesticide (unlikely in my neighborhood). Why would there be so many dead and dying bees in such a short period of time this late in the season??

Reduce entrances of the hives to the size of one bee, examine whether the hives have other gaps or cracks. Dead bees are probably robbers killed in the hives. It's better to feed in the evening but I often feed in daytime or in the morning. It's important that the bees are able to protect themselves. Work quickly - two hives do not require much time.

Reduce entrances of the hives to the size of one bee, examine whether the hives have other gaps or cracks. Dead bees are probably robbers killed in the hives. It's better to feed in the evening but I often feed in daytime or in the morning. It's important that the bees are able to protect themselves. Work quickly - two hives do not require much time.

I reckon you can top up feeders at any time but the first should be when the bees are not flying.

I'd suggest having a really good look at the corpses. It is possible the the workers have started throwing out the drones, some of which did not want to be thrown out; hence the scuffles.

CVB

Maybe one hive was robbing the other.
If I experienced your scenario I would presume just that.

If you need to feed then you should place your feeders in the day but fill them with syrup in the evening when the bees have stopped flying
thanks for the advice!

Thanks for the advice. I have reduced the entrances. Hive one still has some robbing going on while the second hive seems to have calmed down. I also took out the feeder trays.

Good suggestion. I've examined the dead bees and there are no drones. All worker bees.

I'm exploring that possibility but as yet have not found an equivalent to NBU. I took a sample nonetheless. It seems that it's more likely robbing than a pesticide. I'll know more in a day or two having reduced the entrances to see if that helps the bees defend the hive better. Thanks!

Back