De-capping Method

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What 'main' de-capping method do you use when harvesting?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rosti

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
This is probably my third season de-capping using a hot air gun. I find it quick, clean and highly effective (provided you remember you have a 'gun' hand and a 'frame' hand!)

We've debated methods on the forum in the past, but to help those who have not tried out multiple methods; what de-capping method do different members prefer and why?

Last edited:
I have ordered an uncapping machine after trying most other methods. I suffer with my wrists and elbows when uncapping lots of supers. Must be to do with my job as a tree surgeon. Waiting for a delivery date so will report back when I have had the chance to out it through its paces.

Missing electrict knife.

Uncapping machine (propably users are busy and not on forum)

Last edited:
Missing electrict knife.

Uncapping machine (propably users are busy and not on forum)

Had to limit options at some point. Wld suggest electric Knife goes under < Other (post a description) > Tx R

Hot air gun for the last 3 years, with a fork as backup for "old" honey with no airspace under the cappings.

I use a brush uncapping machine - very fast and clean

I use a decapping roller which is fine but have just bought a hot air gun so looking forward to using that

Dakota Gunness uncapper, had it for 18 years now, never had a single problem with it.
Bought it new way back. Has a capacity (never close to threatened) of apparently 27 combs a minute.

Uncapping forks kept lying about in abundance to quickly scratch any low bits the flails did not get.

Cappings then crushed in a wax press from France, from Limousin Apiculture, takes the honey out without heat.

Tryed using a hot air gun but the wax re-seals the cells. Any tips as to where I'm going wrong as it seems a good idea?

1,3,5 and 6 at various times. Obviously thats wrong, I dont only do cut comb. Soz.

Latest posts

Back