Daughter colonys acting so different.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wikipedia says that F1 is crossing between two distinctly different varietes or strains .

That is clearly said. It you buy F1 seeds, they are not what ever crossings.

I agree with you. In plants at least an F1 variety can't be replicated except by taking the original parent stock and crossing them again. I think in bees people seem to be calling a queen bred by someone with a good reputation an "F1". If that is so, you're right...Mendel has been forgotten.

Calling people silly names demeans the person doing the name calling as well as the victim. Finman, you do well to reply politely and seriously as you do.

I have missed his valuable contributions as well. I do not know his personal circumstances; but I could guess that the stream of mean-spirited criticism often hurled at him might have influenced a decision not to compromise his personal integrity and ethical principles further.
I think his daughter wasn't well either.
And I know he had issues with the new forum.
But hasn't most folk got issues with one social media site or another.
I don't think there is anyone else on here that is embarking on a study and breeding program as he has been, and is/was willing to share his knowledge and expertise as him.
#bringb+back.

I agree with you. In plants at least an F1 variety can't be replicated except by taking the original parent stock and crossing them again. I think in bees people seem to be calling a queen bred by someone with a good reputation an "F1". If that is so, you're right...Mendel has been forgotten.

Calling people silly names demeans the person doing the name calling as well as the victim. Finman, you do well to reply politely and seriously as you do.

I found a link on mandel. I've only scanned over it, I'll read it when I've
Got a spare hour. :iamwithstupid: client today.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAGegQIDhAI&usg=AOvVaw1w8kwmdFMULW9ytLwhrkzq

I’m interested in this. When do you decide it’s defensive genes and when hybrid vigour?
It's close to one and the same thing!

When a colony produces a lot of honey = Hybrid Vigour.
When/if very moody = Defensive Genes / Bad Bloodline.

Im told that many of those "defensive Gene" colonies turn out to be top producers... (If given the opportunity)
Perhaps this is true? - Or perhaps it's because they are not messed with as much and left to get down to business... Just a thought

It's close to one and the same thing!
But are you sure - isn't hybrid vigor, with all its good and bad aspects due to genetic health not a genetic trait.
So take wolves and pedigree dogs - if you mate two poodles you expect to get a poodle. But two brown mongrels won't breed true necessarily.
Wolves won't breed true either - two wolves with long ears won't necessarily produce cubs with long ears but are never the less well adapted to their environment - arguably better adapted than the poodle. In this analagy amm would be wolves, carni's and other pure races poodles. Note that a poodle bred with a nonpoodle will have hybrid vigor - as expressed perhaps by less risk of blindness or other genetic condition. This does not mean that the gene causing blindness is absent - just less likely to be expressed as there is a healthy alternate gene in a hybrid but maybe likely not in a pure breed.
So in bees in a hybrid certain genes are more or less likely to be expressed not because of their presence or absence in desirable or undesirable forns but simply becuser they are in a hybrid.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back