Cut Resistant Sleeves

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stickyfingers

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Found these really useful for an extra layer of protection under suit when it gets particularly nasty.

2uejof5.jpg

any one have old socks for cutting ? A great idea.

I didn't have any 18" socks with kevlar thread lying around.

The kevlar isn't automatically going to prevent sting penetration.
Cut resistance and puncture resistance are different properties.

The airgap (so the sting can't reach your flesh) provided by spaced layers of anything, is what 'protects' you.
No reason why an arm-sock shouldn't help give extra protection … but only to the arms!

The kevlar isn't automatically going to prevent sting penetration.
Cut resistance and puncture resistance are different properties.

The airgap (so the sting can't reach your flesh) provided by spaced layers of anything, is what 'protects' you.
No reason why an arm-sock shouldn't help give extra protection … but only to the arms!

Leg warmers or fingerless gloves would do the same sort of thing.

These are a lot harder than a sock or leg warmer but each to their own. There not exactly expensive and thought it might be useful to share for those who don't wear gauntlets.

Last edited:
These are a lot harder than a sock or leg warmer but each to their own. There not exactly expensive and thought it might be useful to share for those who don't wear gauntlets.

Doesn't have to be harder though unless you have bred bees with much longer stings.

If my bees required that level of protection for me, I would requeen them rather than wear an auld wfie's gray stockings on my arms.

Reminds me of Norah Batty's stockings..

Every colony has its days. They go for the wrists and it's scary. So this is a great idea; thanks. What we really need is something the sting won't penetrate or stick to (to save the bee). Chain mail would actually be perfect.

Hi Sticky,
Just what I need. Thought my bee suit was bullet proof and got my first sting just in that region with jeans shirt underneath! My bees were with QC and it made them aggressive for a couple of days! Where can I get some pls?

Beeno - just wear a jumper or fleese ontop of the t-shirt.

Hi Jimy Dee,
I am already doing that! Just wanted some additional protection.

Hi Jimy Dee,
I am already doing that! Just wanted some additional protection.

Use an extra layer, loose, of anything.

Woven cut-resistant Kevlar isn't going to be any better at preventing beesting penetration than woven wool or cotton of the same thickness. Your best protection is the airgap - hence the importance of ensuring things are loose!

Remember JBM's post that even Kevlar anti-hypodermic-needle-penetration gloves weren't proof against beestings?

Beeno - just wear a jumper or fleese ontop of the t-shirt.

:iagree:

A loose, thick cotton, sleeve on the outside of the suit, that covers cuffs and goes above the elbows is probably as good as anything else. If you can't make a tube of fabric and add elastic to both ends, then you can buy them online. They're sold as 'arm protectors' or 'gauntlet sleeves'.

Hi all,
I am sweating already that's why I like the idea proposed by OP.

Woven cut-resistant Kevlar isn't going to be any better at preventing beesting penetration than woven wool or cotton of the same thickness. Your best protection is the airgap - hence the importance of ensuring things are loose!

Remember JBM's post that even Kevlar anti-hypodermic-needle-penetration gloves weren't proof against beestings?

Just so we are clear I not claiming these are sting proof. Read my original thread and that only they give an extra layer of protection in addition to your suit. If you don't think it of a benefit then so be it. Scr*wfix do them for those who are more open minded. In my opinion they are better than a normal cotton long sleeve and it mean I don't have to wear a full top so its cooler. I actually wear them underneath so I still have the air gap your all ranting about.
And for all those think that my bees are to aggressive I only wear them when they all get a bit moody, which does happen from time to time.

:iagree:

A loose, thick cotton, sleeve on the outside of the suit, that covers cuffs and goes above the elbows is probably as good as anything else. If you can't make a tube of fabric and add elastic to both ends, then you can buy them online. They're sold as 'arm protectors' or 'gauntlet sleeves'.

But they only come up as far as your ebows - I wear them to make sure they can't sneak up under the cuffs of my suit and it protect the usual 'target area' of the forearms - but they soon work out the new weak spots and you get stung in the soft spot on the inside of the elbow - which doesn't half smart.

Just accept that if you keep bees you're going to get stung occasionally noone can work properly if they're wadded up like Bibendum

Latest posts

Back