Cut comb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popparand

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Thinking ahead to next year, I would be interested in any opinions or experiences about making/selling cut comb.

Use thin unwired foundation. I put one or two in a box of normal super frames and mark them so I know which they are. I always use new frames. I dont usually do cut comb but I find chunk honey goes down well and can add to the price. I have tried using the square frames that fit into a normal frame. Total disaster, the bees wouldn't draw it.
E

Buy the thin foundation as Enrico says. I don't use anything else in supers.
Think about which containers you are going to sell it in. Thornse do some attractive clear plastic ones and you will need to cut the comb by hand to fit them.
I use the "margarine tubs with clear lids. Maismore/Cwynne jones) and nice attractive box to put them in. I use one of the cut comb cutters that cuts them to size for these boxes...it's the wrong size for the Thornes boxes.... everyone disparages these cut comb cutters but they work absolutely fine and save a lot of time.
Make sure you don't use a quick setting honey, like spring OSR.
All my cut comb is either Borage or Heather.
Store the tubs in the freezer. Prevents crystallization and kills any wax moths...sorry enrico it does...as they are in there for weeks not days.

Ask a premium price as few people sell cut comb.
Should get 4 pieces to a national super if fully capped.

I had a bit of trouble with square sections early on, but then alternated them with normal frames in the super - worked for me (but then a very good year and could hardly keep up with the bees super wise - so they may have filled them out of desperation!) - although for some reason the photo has attached at a 90 degree angle...

Attachments

• IMG_0984.JPG
    IMG_0984.JPG
    166.1 KB · Views: 29
i love cut comb and normaly eat the profits myself on some good granary bread and some guernsey butter.....mmmmmm. i prefer full sheets of the thin foundation and have often got bees to draw those whilst on the rape.....once extracted and cleaned they are ideal for the next flow...i quite like those ross rounds and the fact the rings are in a frame means you can juggle them around to get them evenly drawn....all my boxes go straight into a couple of big chest freezers and i defrost by the box or frame as needed...chunk honey is good but i just normaly use the off cuts or those bits not good enough for the box.. the 8oz should sell for the price of 1lb jar plus a little

Anyone willing to share prices and wieght please

I had a bit of trouble with square sections early on, but then alternated them with normal frames in the super - worked for me (but then a very good year and could hardly keep up with the bees super wise - so they may have filled them out of desperation!) - although for some reason the photo has attached at a 90 degree angle...

Here you go.

Attachments

• IMG_0984.JPG
    IMG_0984.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 14

£1 per ounce
I am a slapdash cut comb cutter. I don't drain mine. They do look nicer drained but I sell them only at Conwy Honey Fair and my customers come back year after year. Some want bits of pollen in it too.

Using standard cutter I find weights vary between about6.5 and 9oz. Bees don't do Tesco uniform sizes. I'm cheap £6/comb. Farm
Shops are asking £7.50 round me. Area you live will determine price you get.

Nothing about here for sale in the way of combs so going to try and see if I can get a market going for it. I was thinking about £7.5 a comb maybe more in some towns. Thank you both for input.

Buy the thin foundation as Enrico says. I don't use anything else in supers.

Think about which containers you are going to sell it in. Thornse do some attractive clear plastic ones and you will need to cut the comb by hand to fit them.

The Thornes crystal boxes are a major improvement over the old margarine style which were often a poor fit. I've used them since they were launched and would never go back to a two part box, plus you can see all round the comb.

I use an old comb cutter, which I think is Thornes and this produces the right size comb for these crystal boxes and saves cutting by hand, which is fine, but I find causes higher loss of honey from the comb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, the shop Nectar closed for good : (

Latest posts

Back