cut comb questions?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burren

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 nationals/ 3 apideas
Hi all
Never done any cut comb, was waiting on the boxes to arrive! Is the freezer just if you are storing it or should you freeze defrost, cut and box? Or do you always have to do 24hrs freeze due to possible wax moth? Do you need to "drain" the cut piece of comb 1st before boxing and if so what is the shelf life then of the boxed piece, thanks

We usually cut it out with a cutter, let it drain, place into plastic container and then pop into the freezer until required.

PH is probably the one to ask on here.

I was going to have a go myself this year but forgot to use the unwired foundation, Interested to see what PH does as in a old thread (gadgets) PH did not like a certain comb cutter (if I remembered right)

I use a template made from ply wood and a sharp knife.

I cut the comb, pop the piece into the container wipe to make sure it is clean, weigh it to make sure it is right then seal up.

About as simple as it gets.

I don't freeze and never had an issue by not doing so.

PH

Hi PH
No draining on anything? What is the shelf life approx once boxed? Will the "freezing" increase the moisture content and could this cause a problem at a later date, many thanks for all replies

I cut, drain, pack and then put the cartons in the freezer for 48 hours to kill any braula or wax moth.
Store in the fridge after afterwards (could store in freezer I suppose but wife needs space)

I cannot remember the last time I saw a braula.

Varroa treatments seem to have pretty much wiped them out.

PH

am thinking ahead for next year, and ordered my bits last week so Im ready, good to read all these tips on cutting,storage etc, as mine will come from tbh

combcutter.jpg

combcontainer.jpg

cutcombsticker.jpg

from that place we cant mention, works out to around 15p per carton/sticker,

That cutter is a hindrance not an asset. A simple kitchen knife will save you a few £'s

Been cutting comb in one guise or another for over 20 years and wax moth has never so far appeared. Not saying it never will, just so far it has not, and as the odds seem somewhat in my favour I dinna worry about it.

PH

That cutter is a hindrance not an asset. A simple kitchen knife will save you a few £'s

Been cutting comb in one guise or another for over 20 years and wax moth has never so far appeared. Not saying it never will, just so far it has not, and as the odds seem somewhat in my favour I dinna worry about it.

PH

I used a knife last year, using your suggestion of a template and it worked, though was quite messy.

Picked up a cutter for a fiver at our division auction and it has already proven itself a neat and efficient way of doing it.

Might not buy a full price one if and when it breaks, but it does a pretty good job.

I have some of those cut comb containers from TH****s. My problem is with the weight of the comb, it isn't 8 oz,/227g, I think because the comb isn't thick enough. I crammed in as much as I could, but it still didn't make up the weight. Would the frame spacing in the super have to be 9 or 10 to get the correct thickness of comb to fit in those containers? Some of my super frames were self-spacing hoffmans.

I weigh and indvidually price mine.
Both weight and price on the label.

I have some of those cut comb containers from TH****s. My problem is with the weight of the comb, it isn't 8 oz,/227g, I think because the comb isn't thick enough. I crammed in as much as I could, but it still didn't make up the weight. Would the frame spacing in the super have to be 9 or 10 to get the correct thickness of comb to fit in those containers? Some of my super frames were self-spacing hoffmans.

in that case, don't put the sticker on, sell it from home, sorted

I use Manleys and there is still variation in thickness from top to bottom of a Dadant super frame. I get 10 sections from a frame. The top row of sections cut come out from 250-275g and the bottom row of sections come out between 210-235g. So I think I have to individually weigh and price.

Polyhive, Cant find the original post regarding your template, could you post the dimensions please. 10 sections from on frame seems quite an amount.

Many thanks as usual.

I only get 8 per frame, using the (expensive) shape cutter. 8 exact. I haven't weighed; felt worried about just popping it in the 8oz tub. I plan to weigh now. Also didn't freeze; just hearing about wax moth and braula makes me think I should do it - JUST in case!

Thanks for the advice

Back