Cut Comb Honey.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did read somewhere of the idea of extracting the honey then giving it back to them because they can then cap it quicky and you finish up with nice clear honey and cappings.

There are a few You Tube vids on the subject but the only variations are how you cut it and what you package it in.
I rather like the idea of putting a bit in a jar and topping up with honey, although there is the variation on that idea of using natural unfilled comb in the jar and then topping up.

I have tried it this year with sections. Put a section crate on for a few days, then fed extracted "thick" nectar. So far, lookin lovely.

I did read somewhere of the idea of extracting the honey then giving it back to them because they can then cap it quicky and you finish up with nice clear honey and cappings.

I rather like the idea of putting a bit in a jar and topping up with honey, although there is the variation on that idea of using natural unfilled comb in the jar and then topping up.

Heather honey is awkward to extract, so cut comb (or sections) becomes an easy option.
However, the Heather season is fairly short.
I've read of someone using the OSR flow to draw the combs (which are gently but promptly extracted) giving new drawn comb for the heather honey to be stored into.

I use a 1/1 Gastronorm stainless pan (big catering pan) with a shallower perforated same size pan inside for the comb cutting.
Cut out the whole comb from the frame. Thornes (sale) comb cutter. Thornes new 'crystal' containers.
Offcuts (and drainage) goes into "chunk heney" jars.

The gastronorm pans were obtained pretty cheaply during Nisbets sale, with free delivery.

I might be lucky tomorrow and find the foundationles frames I put in a super the otheer week and then be able to have a play with getting it into jars.
I also have a large piece of natural unused comb which I can cut up, put iny jars and then fill them up with honey.......

How does one work out a best before or use by date for honey?

think the guide line is two years but i always tell people it lasts forever. if theyve still got your honey after two years theres somthing wrong with them, Freaks!

:iagree: I actually enterd my cut comb in the Gower show - did not drain it before putting it in the tub - still got first. Use a cutter for mine (got three on fleabay lasy year for £17.00 including postage!) it's handy because you cut your piece out and then pop it straight into the carton (almost) no mess!! I use both SN1 frames and Manleys with thin unwired foundation.
Was it as nice as these? ;)

Latest posts

Back