Cut comb containers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popparand

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm planning on producing some cut comb next year. I would like to get hold of quality containers like what Hilltop/Picklecoombe use. Does anyone know who supplies these?

Just check the main suppliers Thorne do a slightly fancier 1 and there’s the standard white box with clear lid but these can be used in conjunction with those cardboard boxes, the white containers have the advantage of hiding a less than perfect base;) would not be the first time with some slimmer combs you need to add a couple of slithers to base

Last edited:
Jwould not be the first time with some slimmer combs you need to add a couple of slithers to base

That thought has never entered my mind.... ;)

Have also had the opposite problem where I had to shave some off so the lids would shut...
Bees don't seem to do Tesco uniform sizes.

I purchased from thornes one of the 30lb buckets with small pump dispenser, the dispenser is meant for those small couple of ounce jars but the long spout easily slides down between comb and box side to help even out weights. Also handy for putting a squirt into jars of chunk once any air has risen. Obvously not suggesting any over do it but just enough to represent any lost when comb is cut��

I look to cut nice sized pieces and charge by weight. Worth going to more trouble if you have a market, there's not much demand in these parts so I've used thornes crystal containers and cut the comb into nice sizes that range from 6.8 ozs to 7.3 ozs. I'm marking these at £5 to tempt a few to try.

Just check the main suppliers Thorne do a slightly fancier 1 and there’s the standard white box with clear lid but these can be used in conjunction with those cardboard boxes, the white containers have the advantage of hiding a less than perfect base;) would not be the first time with some slimmer combs you need to add a couple of slithers to base

Aaaarrrrgh!

It's SLIVER......snakes slither.

I use Thorne crystal containers with minimal labelling on the top (legal stuff on the back)
Like Swarm, charge by weight but round down.
My weights this year varied from 6 to 8 1/2 ounces.

I was given to understand by Thornes that they were phasing out the white ones. Not sure on the timing of the convo might have been late last year or early this. Might be worth checking.

PH

People should be able to see all parts of the cut comb so they know what they are buying so I am fully in favour of the transparent crystal containers. It might also stop the sharp practise of putting stuff (packing) under the cut comb which gives beekeepers a bad name. Customers are paying for a quality product and deserve better. The cut comb should drained and the cells sealed on both sides of the comb not just the one at the top. Also Judges at shows have to spend (waste) time taking the comb out of the white containers to look underneath to check for packing and unsealed cells (with risk of damaging the entry and getting sticky hands). I wish all shows stipulated only the use of transparent containers to speed up thje judging of these classes.

I use thornes crystal containers using transparent labels printed by laser. I get these labels from Label Planet and allow customers to see the entire product.

Attachments

• IMG_0329.jpg
    IMG_0329.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 27
I was given to understand by Thornes that they were phasing out the white ones. Not sure on the timing of the convo might have been late last year or early this. Might be worth checking.

PH

The 'margarine tub' type are useless, with a high failure rate. The crystal ones look much better and I haven't had one fail yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The 'margarine tub' type are useless, with a high failure rate. The crystal ones look much better and I haven't had one fail yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What do you mean by a high failure rate?
I've used nothing else for cut-comb for several years and have yet to have one fail in any shape or form.

Last edited:
What do you mean by a high failure rate?
I've used nothing else for cut-comb for several years and have yet to have one fail in any shape or form.

The old margarine style from Thorne would often be mis-shaped so the lid would never fit the box or vice versa.

The-crystal ones just clip shut and look a lot better, too.

i did get an iffy pack fro spring convention once, lids would not sit on and would split...apart from that had no issues they did the job

The old margarine style from Thorne would often be mis-shaped so the lid would never fit the box or vice versa.

The-crystal ones just clip shut and look a lot better, too.

I see....
I never bought them from Thornes, perhaps this is where the problem is.
I tried their crystal containers, but the standard cut comb cutter cuts combs a bit on the small size for that size container. As I have 3-400 to cut each autumn I'm not about to start faffing about with a knife.
I pack them in boxes like these...have no problem selling them.

cut-comb-container-cartons.jpg

the new 1s are better for sure but maybe not as forgiving!!! and the old type in boxes do look good......do any know or have seen in this country the hard plastic type, they seem common abroad but not so here.....Ian

Never had an issue with the old style tubs - yes, the lids can be a little loose, but then, I wouldn't sell them without the cardboard sleeve.
I think the crystal containers look awful and don't show off the cut comb as well as it should.

Popparand,

The Hilltop box is by many miles the best on the market, but they import it ready-packed from Hungary and add the label.

Last year I googled the manufacturers of the Hilltop box - Ozmertplastik - and made contact with the manager. He was helpful but could not help, although he did offer to arrange a container of about 11,000. There is no UK importer; importing costs kills deals.

Ceracell in New Zealand do a lovely box similar to the Ozmertplastik. In the US there are good boxes made by Pioneer Plastics; they're cheap over there, of course. I emailed Bee Equipment and suggested they imported it as they already import from the US. They agreed that it was a very good box and would put the idea to their buyer, but I heard no more.

In terms of contemporary packaging the Thorne boxes are in the dark ages, no matter that they do the job. The Thorne website acknowledges that the current box is 'a huge improvement on the old boring...box'. Maybe, but not by much. Until a beekeeping retailer takes a risk and imports 11,000 well-designed boxes for the small UK cut-comb market, I reckon that's all we have.

A work-around the problem: use Ross Rounds; little work to pack, looks the part, sells well.

Latest posts

Back