Crownboard for pains poly

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
My hive came with a floppy plastic 'crownboard' that got stuck when I used it. I don't bother using it now, I just use the roof with no crownboard. Last autumn I didn't need to feed because they gathered plenty of ivy in autumn. At some point it may be necessary for me to feed syrup and I am wondering what others with this hive would use as a feeder board because as far as I am aaware wooden boards do not fit? Cheers

I am wondering what others with this hive would use as a feeder board because as far as I am aaware wooden boards do not fit? Cheers

My father taught me how to use this wonderful instrument which has been used by one branch of my family for generations, thanks to his foresight my inherited skill has stood me well for years - it's called a saw :D

Ely, be very careful not to break the roof as you try and remove it. I expect it will be VERY well stuck down.

Of course you can use any wooden (National) hive part with a Pains poly.
I have a T's wood-framed polycarb crownboard in mine.

Only thing is, you can't put a wooden roof directly on top of a Pains poly box.
You need to put a wood box on top of the poly box, then a wooden roof on top of the wooden box.
Useful trick if you break the roof trying to get it off.
The coversheet is *much* better than nothing.

"Foolish boy ..."

As noted, an 'ordinary' 460mm x 460mm National Crown Board can be used - you could even use a Commercial one. I have a mix of 500mm crown boards which I made to suit and some 460mm ones currently in use on National Poly Hives. I have also made deep wooden roofs to suit.

Be very careful removing the roof as if it has been propolised in place, you could end up removing it in pieces.

My father taught me how to use this wonderful instrument which has been used by one branch of my family for generations, thanks to his foresight my inherited skill has stood me well for years - it's called a saw :D

I assumed it was more a problem with the depth of the roof

Sent from my XT615 using Tapatalk 2

Ely, be very careful not to break the roof as you try and remove it. I expect it will be VERY well stuck down.

Of course you can use any wooden (National) hive part with a Pains poly.
I have a T's wood-framed polycarb crownboard in mine.

Only thing is, you can't put a wooden roof directly on top of a Pains poly box.
You need to put a wood box on top of the poly box, then a wooden roof on top of the wooden box.
Useful trick if you break the roof trying to get it off.
The coversheet is *much* better than nothing.

"Foolish boy ..."

Cheers. Dads army? :)

When I first got my Panes poly, I had real trouble with the roof. I gave it a jolly good vaselining, and I've had no trouble since.

I made what I call my 'inner crown board' so it fits inside a super etc. Has a deep rim for varroa treatment and a round feed hole. 6mm ply and some I think it's about 13mm square pine for the rim. I also put a couple of strips of pine on for handgrips. It fits so it's moveable but not super tight.

Frisbee

Thanks guys. Those polycarbonate crown boards look handy.

I use a national size wood-framed clear polycarbonate crown board on a Pain's poly hive, with the poly roof on top. The poly roof does not fit snug as it does if directly on the hive, but stays on tight with the strap.

Try thick polythene - it does not make that loud crack when removed that the bees hate and peels off. It is low cost and disposable.

I have fondant on my poly hive now, directly on the frames, then 50 mm kingspan packed in tight in a super, then floppy crownboard and roof. In autumn I used a wooden crownboard with an english feeder.

I made what I call my 'inner crown board' so it fits inside a super etc. ...

I thought I'm the only one doing that. Glad to learn otherwise. I think that works the best - particularly for feeding the bees.

It avoids the cold bridge a wooden crown board will create and also prevents the super (or eke) from slipping around on top of a polycarbonate crown board.

In the summer I usually use the hive without a crown board.

Kitta

I made what I call my 'inner crown board' so it fits inside a super etc. Has a deep rim for varroa treatment and a round feed hole. 6mm ply and some I think it's about 13mm square pine for the rim. I also put a couple of strips of pine on for handgrips. It fits so it's moveable but not super tight.

Frisbee

I can't quite picture what this looks like

I can't quite picture what this looks like

Erm, not quite sure how else to explain it!

I have an rectangle of 6mm ply which fits inside a super. It has a rim of approx 13mm square pine attached to the edge so it sits on top of the broodbox frames, but the rim keeps the majority clear....by 13mm. So the rim is on the underside.

I drilled a (approx) 70mm round hole for a feed hole and also put a strip of the square pine diagonally across one corner on the upperside so I had a hand grip for removing it. That has to be out of the way of a rapid feeder over the hole but not so far into the corner to make it awkward.

I can't take a picture of it just yet. But will next time I'm down there if this doesn't clear it up for you.

Frisbee

I think I picture it. Although Im not sure what benefit it has for feeding over a normal style crowboard

I think I picture it. Although Im not sure what benefit it has for feeding over a normal style crowboard

It doesn't show from the outside, so it doesn't "spoil" the appearance of the Pains poly.

And since the side walls are now all-poly rather than with a wood strip, the thermal insulation may be better than with the conventional crownboard.

However, my expectation would be that propolis is likely to be applied where the small crownboard rests on all the frame topbars.

Latest posts

Back