Criteria to accept new memebers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Our committee and other BKAs near us are very difficult about accepting beginners who have not been on our/their association's course

unfornutanely that can marginalise new beekeepers who then feel unwanted, it is particularly a problem in this part of London where over subscribed local course means we have quite a few private courses , one charges £65 for a compulsory taster day then £170 for 8 hours of theory tuition and a two hour apiary session...so £235 , others are three or four hour theory courses for £50

but several local BKAs say, no because as a beginner you need to go on OUR £100+ course to join us, one was even not taking new members last year

if you take my BKA ,we really really have only me and another Beekeepers who are committed to train beginners and our own bees suffer as it leaves only one weekend day to inspect our own hives but we are rejecting any beekeeper (beginner) who has not been on the course

Yet we are always talking about extending a hand of friendship to more experienced beekeepers on allotments and gardens etc ( even though many may have not formal training)

What is it like in your area?

Last edited:
There is a relatively well-known bee-keeper in this area who will not supply bees to you unless you have done a basic course either with him or the BKA...However, I obtained my bees from Exeter BKA in 2010 after a 2 minute frame hold and a 10 minute 'why do you want to keep bees?' session at the membership secretary's home...and never saw anyone again - despite requesting help :(

The forum saved my sanity and my bees lives...:D

As for only being able to join if you have completed 'their' course - could you not have probationary members?

As far as I know Geoff in Ealing just down the road from you if people want to join they can with no strings attached.

The courses are free in Wiltshire and long may they continue to be so. If some are offering the hand of kindness and insisting that hand is "greased" with large sums of money, well surely they have lost their moral compass haven't they?

Our association were very welcoming ... I did the course - a very modest fee and well worth every penny.

It's daunting enough starting out to become a beekeeper without draconian 'rules' which can only discourage people. What would happen if the person trying to join already had bees - but had not attended a course - what if the person trying to join had been keeping bees for years ...

Ridiculous. Will just discourage people from joining and worse, could end up with them going off on their own.

Perhaps the BBKA should be producing a 'beginners knowledge DVD' - all the basic stuff in there. Then insist that new members take it and learn ... before being 'given' any bees.

BKAs charge for courses to cover the costs of providing the training. Some examples of costs are:- Hire of venues, costs of equipment [and bees] at training apiaries, etc,etc. Don't forget that handling bees in training apiaries can reduce the amount of honey that is produced.

Our local association makes a modest charge as do others in the area. I don't think that anyone has complained about the cost. Courses are oversubscribed.

I am surprised that associations do not allow individuals to join without attending a training course. I can, however, understand associations and others not supplying colonies of bees without satisfying themselves that they will be cared for.

Ray

Our local association has two forms of membership "Associate" for those that do not have bees and "full" for those that do, and like most, the course is oversubscribed every year and we charge £40.00 per head for a course that lasts six weeks and is held every Sunday. We charge because we supply beesuits , gloves etc and supply any notes as part of the course, it is also an incentive to keep going to get their monies worth.

Our local association has two forms of membership "Associate" for those that do not have bees and "full" for those that do, and like most, the course is oversubscribed every year and we charge £40.00 per head for a course that lasts six weeks and is held every Sunday. We charge because we supply beesuits , gloves etc and supply any notes as part of the course, it is also an incentive to keep going to get their monies worth.

:Iagree:

BKAs charge for courses to cover the costs of providing the training. Some examples of costs are:- Hire of venues, costs of equipment [and bees] at training apiaries, etc,etc. Don't forget that handling bees in training apiaries can reduce the amount of honey that is produced.

Our local association makes a modest charge as do others in the area. I don't think that anyone has complained about the cost. Courses are oversubscribed.

I am surprised that associations do not allow individuals to join without attending a training course. I can, however, understand associations and others not supplying colonies of bees without satisfying themselves that they will be cared for.

Ray
All welcome as above, except our course is £62 inc associate membership, for 10 2hr theory classes and 10 practicals, that they must attended one of our free taster days.

We had some complaints about the "high" course cost from some of our committee and the public, but it's set , as above, to give them some incentive to stay the course!
Also this season we were reported to the BBKA because of our "taster" day qualifier policy, by a solicitor who insisted he had the "right" to attend the course even though he'd not attended a taster. Much letter and emails from all concerned, we stood our ground and have heard no more. Anyone else had this?

We welcome everyone, but only those who have done the introductory course get mentoring. Interestingly about half the people who do the introductory course already have or have had bees.

The daft part about all this is that one can grab a swarm or two and become a proficient beekeeper without membership of any BKA, just by the practical experience, readind books etc and trawling this forum and that of the many others on the net, including BBKA. Frankly, any BKA that refused membership without an obligation to spend a bucketload of money getting "educated" isn't worth joining anyway. We have beeks in their 80s who are self trained by pure experience and without certificates to prove competence. Try changing that I dare anyone!!! In this area, membership of one BKA and Associate of another is reasonably common, without any preconditions worth mentioning. That surely is the right way to go. Beekeeping ain't that special frankly for anybody with a practical bent.

You can come along to our apiary days and put on one of our suits and inspect with our experienced tutors at no charge, although we do gently encourage you buy a raffle ticket :) or a cuppa and cake at reasonable cost - but entirely voluntary.

Beginners course over 3 full days for £60 but not compulsory in order to become a member, and 2 levels of membership - associate and full if you have bees.

All pretty reasonable and no complaints about costs, we have a very healthy membership count so must be doing something right.

I think that the "moral Compass" was dropped and lost a long time ago by some BKA's. I belong to 2 groups, The North Bucks group & Bedfordshire KA both are welcoming to new comers and offer tutoring to all wishing to take up the hobby. The North Bucks KA is very well organised and offers a full season course which includes classes and on site tuition . But with all the certificate collectors, course management officers appearing in some BKA's, I really wonder how long it will be before you have to have certification before you can even keep bees. Some what along the line of a shotgun cert with 'photo to purchase cartridges.

one can grab a swarm or two and become a proficient beekeeper without membership of any BKA, just by the practical experience, readind books etc and trawling this forum and that of the many others on the net, including BBKA. Frankly, any BKA that refused membership without an obligation to spend a bucketload of money getting "educated" isn't worth joining anyway.

A very good point and I agree with this. We are members of a very active association and have a good number of very experienced members who are always willing to give advice. We have very good winter training and as new beekeepers we took the course and paid for the Hands on Training which meant a year of help at the Apiary and a nuc of bees.

However the other side of that is we get some new members who do not want to pay for the course or training but expect to have advice on tap whenever. They only pay membership and seem to do little reading or work for themselves. The experienced members still help them out but this does not seem quite fair on the members who pay for the courses. Their fees pay expenses and support the branch apiary, which helps keep the branch lively and active, pay for guest speakers etc.
It is necessary to strike a balance between these positions but we have not found it easy.
Ray

The daft part about all this is that one can grab a swarm or two and become a proficient beekeeper without membership of any BKA, just by the practical experience, readind books etc and trawling this forum and that of the many others on the net, including BBKA. Frankly, any BKA that refused membership without an obligation to spend a bucketload of money getting "educated" isn't worth joining anyway. We have beeks in their 80s who are self trained by pure experience and without certificates to prove competence. Try changing that I dare anyone!!! In this area, membership of one BKA and Associate of another is reasonably common, without any preconditions worth mentioning. That surely is the right way to go. Beekeeping ain't that special frankly for anybody with a practical bent.

No amount of reading books will give you what hands on experience will. I found my introductory course invaluable, because, though I had read all my books several times, I didn't have the context, nor the practical skills.

However the other side of that is we get some new members who do not want to pay for the course or training but expect to have advice on tap whenever. They only pay membership and seem to do little reading or work for themselves. The experienced members still help them out but this does not seem quite fair on the members who pay for the courses. Their fees pay expenses and support the branch apiary, which helps keep the branch lively and active, pay for guest speakers etc.
It is necessary to strike a balance between these positions but we have not found it easy.
Ray

I would say advice is a major part of the benefits of becoming a member of an association - why else join??

The daft part about all this is that one ........

.....Can pay an extra £10 or so and join the BBKA as an individual member. I know they retain the right to dismiss an application but can't say that I've heard of any genuine applicant being refused membership.

In the meantime, the local association is letting someone who may have become a great asset in the future (whether through increasing confidence to take exams or simply because they possess skills outside of beekeeping which can be put to use in the running of the association) slip through the net.

We have beeks in their 80s who are self trained by pure experience and without certificates to prove competence. Try changing that I dare anyone!!!

That too!

Although MM did address this issue in his opening post:

Yet we are always talking about extending a hand of friendship to more experienced beekeepers on allotments and gardens etc ( even though many may have not formal training)

Hmmm seems the Capital city are doing what they doo best.

I would say advice is a major part of the benefits of becoming a member of an association - why else join??

Hi Davnig
I agree, and that is why we joined, but we also try to put in as well as take out. Most others are the same but I can understand why a branch would be reluctant to accept members who are reluctant to make a contribution.

Ray

Latest posts

Back