Creating district website.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oscarmonster

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I have offered to take on our districts website.
I plan to start from scratch. Can any recommend a good template and free host. Our current host is 110mb.com who are having a few troubles.

Hosting

Hi Oscar,

I have several sites hosted with one.com They offer good value, especially for the first year. Have you any knowledge of WordPress? You can run it from the control panel and there are loads of templates available, mostly free, have a search and see the Google results. Once you get the hang it's fairly straightforward to build and maintain the site using it.

Hope this helps,

Martin

I have offered to take on our districts website.
I plan to start from scratch. Can any recommend a good template and free host. Our current host is 110mb.com who are having a few troubles.
A lot depends on how much experience and time you can apply (you or someone else).

It's possible to hand craft a website by writing your own html, but very difficult to keep it looking neat and tidy. What most aim for is a Content Management System, that allows several people to contribute photos or news items, update a diary and so on while keeping an overall structure. Because these systems usually work from a database of some sort which involves some back end processing it's hard to get a both free and reliable sites. In essence, you get what you pay for.

Frequently used systems are Wordpress, Joomla and Drupal. There are several others but these are the ones that often have automated set up routines on many of the hosting sites. You could just about get a site going on a free Wordpress account, and it has the reputation of being easiest to set up, but it will carry some advertising. For instance, it will carry an address such as "abcbeekeeping.wordpress.com"

Last edited:
Hi Oscar

I have several active websites with Moonfruit.com

Their basic package is free and is VERY user friendly and easy to use. You can of course choose to pay for extras but I've never found the need tbh.

Check out the website via the link below. This was created by me using their free service.

http://sirquej.moonfruit.com/

I have found Tsohost do free hosting for charities. And a co.uk address for about £5 a year. (Will have to speak to the treasurer )
Can I create my website using joomla or wordpress and then get tsohost to host it?

I've just been looking at TSOhost with a client - they use Linux, Apache, PHP and MySQL - that is all you need for WordPress ;-)

There may be better CMS, but WordPress is easy, that encourages people to keep their websites up-to-date, which means that more people view them. Good luck Oscarmonster.

(I set these things up for a living... in other words, I do charge so that my family can eat ;-))

Latest posts

Back