Crazy bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigadg

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Went into 1 of my Hives today which has always been fine. Today they went for me big time. I took at least 10 stings and the wife pulled 81 stings from my suit. I have been eating pear drops today could this be the cause.
Stu

Went into 1 of my Hives today which has always been fine. Today they went for me big time. I took at least 10 stings and the wife pulled 81 stings from my suit. I have been eating pear drops today could this be the cause.
Stu
Whatever the cause, I would wash that suit before using it again.

What was the weather like - have you had thunder today, that can seriously disturb them. Don’t know about pear drops, but they do have an odd smell to them.

When I knocked over several hives and the bees took revenge there was an overwhelming scent. I likened it to marzipan but I am told it was more like pear drops so........I think you should give them up......pear drops I mean😁

A few years ago I wondered why some of mine had got a bit feisty. I often work them in shorts and tee shirt. Eventually put it down to the new tea tree and mint shower gel.

What was the weather like - have you had thunder today, that can seriously disturb them. Don’t know about pear drops, but they do have an odd smell to them.
weather was sunny but a bit overcast,i asked a friend of mine and he thinks its to do with the osr flow

Isopentyl acetate (IPA, or isoamyl acetate) is the principal active component of the alarm pheromone blend and is responsible for the majority of sting-releasing activity. Its main functional value seems related to alerting and eliciting defensive responses at the hive entrance.

Chemical Communication in the Honey Bee Society - Neurobiology of Chemical Communication - NCBI Bookshelf

guess whats the main flavour component of pear drops?

I find If I start to get the smell of pears drops from a hive, its best to close them up. it will also wind up other nearby hives. If they regularly start to smell during inspection then time to think about a re-queen

Don’t know about pear drops, but they do have an odd smell to them.
Pear drops gain their flavour from isoamyl acetate (aka isopentyl acetate) which is an industry sweetener. It's also used to flavour all sorts of clothes wash and personal perfume guff, is a by-product of alcohol production, a constituent of varnishes and is released when a banana is peeled.

Bees got there first and chose it as an alarm pheromone, but companies keen to sell humans fancy smells don't care to give out that information.

Last edited:
Pear drops gain their flavour from isoamyl acetate (aka isopentyl acetate) which is an industry sweetener. It's also used to flavour all sorts of clothing and personal perfume guff, is a by-product of alcohol production, a constituent of varnishes and is released when a banana is peeled.

Bees got there first and chose it as an alarm pheromone, but companies keen to sell humans fancy smells don't care to give out that information.
Thanks Eric, I won’t eat them any more. Useful information.

I won’t eat them any more.

Fine to eat bananas, just not near bees.

A beginner on our course last week asked whether he would have to make wholesale life changes when taking up beekeeping. The answer was yes, and that if he didn't, bees would soon remind him to do so.

For this reason I don't use any perfumed products if I can help it: shampoo, soap, and so on; Waitrose and M&S both sell an unscented shower gel for 90p. Washing soda is good for everything; try it with a bag of magnesium pellets; they last for 300 washes, and never again must I drag a heavy box of scented powder home, nor irritate bees. Fabric conditioner is a no-no: if I can smell its stink thirty feet away, how will it affect bees?

I recall discussing perfume and pheromones and stings with a woman who claimed that she didn't use perfume. I told her that that I could smell something on her from six feet away (perhaps it was moisturiser, or nail varnish or fabric conditioner) and she was stunned.

I recall discussing perfume and pheromones and stings with a woman who claimed that she didn't use perfume. I told her that that I could smell something on her from six feet away (perhaps it was moisturiser, or nail varnish or fabric conditioner) and she was stunned.

You silver tongued devil...

Fine to eat bananas, just not near bees.

A beginner on our course last week asked whether he would have to make wholesale life changes when taking up beekeeping. The answer was yes, and that if he didn't, bees would soon remind him to do so.

For this reason I don't use any perfumed products if I can help it: shampoo, soap, and so on; Waitrose and M&S both sell an unscented shower gel for 90p. Washing soda is good for everything; try it with a bag of magnesium pellets; they last for 300 washes, and never again must I drag a heavy box of scented powder home, nor irritate bees. Fabric conditioner is a no-no: if I can smell its stink thirty feet away, how will it affect bees?

I’m envious as I lost my sense of smell years ago. I have odd days when it reappears somewhat, then goes again.
I wash my suit in Eucalan. Using tepid water, you just soak the suit for a minimum of 15 minutes and don’t need to rinse. So there’s no faff with washing machines or removing hoods and it prevents my other half coming into contact with the suit. It (apparently) smells of eucalyptus for a bit after, the bees don’t react to it.

I’m envious as I lost my sense of smell years ago. I have odd days when it reappears somewhat, then goes again.
I wash my suit in Eucalan. Using tepid water, you just soak the suit for a minimum of 15 minutes and don’t need to rinse. So there’s no faff with washing machines or removing hoods and it prevents my other half coming into contact with the suit. It (apparently) smells of eucalyptus for a bit after, the bees don’t react to it.
Im just like you with the sense of smell,mine does just as you explain,mine was due to nasal polyps
stu

I bet you’re the life and soul of the party, Eric. Especially when you’re on the pull 😂😂😂

Latest posts

Back