Crawling Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have two hives in my garden, they are both healthy with laying Queens, but I have noticed that I seem to have bees crawling away from the hive. I've picked up a few and tried to feed them with invertbee but they are not interested (there is food in the hives), their wings are ok so not DWV, they are workers so not expelled drones, could they be bees at the end of their lives? As I say the hives are looking as I would expect for this time of year.
I've normally kept bees on a farm so I haven't noticed this behaviour before, any ideas, is it normal?, I've googled it and I'm at a loss because they don't seem unhealthy or poisoned.

I have two hives in my garden, they are both healthy with laying Queens, but I have noticed that I seem to have bees crawling away from the hive. I've picked up a few and tried to feed them with invertbee but they are not interested (there is food in the hives), their wings are ok so not DWV, they are workers so not expelled drones, could they be bees at the end of their lives? As I say the hives are looking as I would expect for this time of year.
I've normally kept bees on a farm so I haven't noticed this behaviour before, any ideas, is it normal?, I've googled it and I'm at a loss because they don't seem unhealthy or poisoned.
Check the omf. This is a classic where bees are clinging on underneath having underflown the entrance and then get chilled at night. You can lose many bees this way. If so then block off between entrance and ground

Could be some caught out and as you say there’ll always be some reaching the inevitable end.
You say no DWV….what/when did you treat!

Could be some caught out and as you say there’ll always be some reaching the inevitable end.
You say no DWV….what/when did you treat!
I haven't treated yet, I'm going to use oxalic crystals and vaporizer this year, was going to start the end of this week.
I thoroughly inspect the bees weekly and there is definitely no sign of DWV in the hive or on the crawling bees (went through with a fine tooth comb yesterday), I'm going to cover the OMF as been suggested, I'll keep you all updated, but appreciate all the advice being given 🙏🏻

Just another observation they seem to be walking in the same direction south easterly from the hives, not in random directions 🤷🏻‍♂️

Just another observation they seem to be walking in the same direction south easterly from the hives, not in random directions 🤷🏻‍♂️
Are they hoping while they crawl ?
Is there signs of robbing ?

Are they hoping while they crawl ?
Is there signs of robbing ?
No signs of robbing, they appear to be crawling normally, I'm stumped, I've picked them up and had a real good look at them, they don't take any sugar syrup when offered, their wings are normal, and they all seem to be walking in the same general direction

Throughout the Summer I find bees that are on their last legs crawling in the same direction away from the hives and they usually make it to the same small area, where they expire or get predated. So, probably not something to worry about.

I've also seen this, recently. I have hives on long wooden stands I created, which are over a foot off the ground.
In general, I have noticed that a lot of the bees that fall off the front of the hive, whether it's after a general wrestle with another bee or fighting a wasp, hit the ground and walk south. And, no matter if I intervene or not, they keep going.
I've even turned some bees around or put them back on the inclined leg of the stand. But, off they go again, walking south.

An interesting article about "crawlers".
Sounds like it could be connected to high viral loads, which coincide with the height of varroa numbers in autumn.

Last edited:
It could be SBPV (slow paralysis virus), first reported in the United Kingdom in 1974. It is found naturally without disease but like many other bee viruses, varroa is a mediator that increases the chances of infection. Treatment for varroa as soon as possible.

Throughout the Summer I find bees that are on their last legs crawling in the same direction away from the hives and they usually make it to the same small area, where they expire or get predated. So, probably not something to worry about.
Same here, during the summer there is often a procession of walking bees going down my garden path, away from the hive.
I’ve always assumed these were old bees no longer able to fly going off to die.

It sounds varroa related to me, they don’t just cause DWV, but all sorts of other issues and this time of year, mite loads can be high.

Latest posts

Back