Crafty mouse

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have icecream there now! last time I was ashore catering in Campbeltown I asked the lady in the grocer's for an aubergine and almost caused a riot! they were setting up the wicker man outside the library when I went back to the boat :xmas-smiley-016:
Lucky you weren't lynched - vegetables = deep fried mars bars ! - that'll be beet, osr, cacao and a little dairy product on the side.

Top tip, thanks. We've only got mean takeaway size tubs up here:) I've never seen a litre sized one bt efore, even ice cream only comes in 500ml max size where I am.
I use the 750ml size which will take about 850gm ... they are all the same footprint but the additional size comes from the depth .. the 750ml size is 54mm deep which is pretty much ideal to fit into a hole in a 50mm slab of celotex with another slab above it.

I cut the holes in the bottom with a tank cutter and then cover them with aluminium tape taping the bit of plastic back in place. I then pack them full of fondant and put the lid on. It keeps forever like this and all you have to do when you need to use it is pull the tape off and slap the whole thing over the feeder hole in the crownboard. If they clear it out it is the easiest job in the world to slide the empty one across and put a new one in place. I leave the tape and cut out in the super and so I know where it is and when it is empty you can stick it back in place ready to fill it up again. I find that this does not make as much mess as putting in in cling film on the top of the bars.

But ... a warning - my hives are Paynes Poly with insulation on top and my bees don't really cluster that much so when I have put fondant on in spring there is enough movement in the colony to find it and take it down ... if you run cold hives it would be prudent to put the fondant on the top bars as they may be reluctant to go up into the container if it is above the crown board.

I don't like it in cling film on the top bars - they seem to prefer getting rid of the cling film to taking the fondant and if they don't consume all the fondant it's a bit of mess left on top of the frames.

I just put takeaway tubs upside down over the hole in the crown board and when I want to replenish I remove the old one and put a new one back. If you have some stragglers in the old pot just clap the old and new pots together and the bees are transferred to the new pot before you put it on the hole.

I just put takeaway tubs upside down over the hole in the crown board and when I want to replenish I remove the old one and put a new one back. If you have some stragglers in the old pot just clap the old and new pots together and the bees are transferred to the new pot before you put it on the hole.
I’ve done much the same over a hole I drilled in two topbars. They notice it intermittently. I notice though that when I lift it and irritate them 10mins later the tub is full of them munching away. Is it worth irritating them from time to time to get them to notice it?
Neil

I’ve done much the same over a hole I drilled in two topbars. They notice it intermittently. I notice though that when I lift it and irritate them 10mins later the tub is full of them munching away. Is it worth irritating them from time to time to get them to notice it?
Neil
Not if you can avoid it ... you are better off with a frame feeder in a TBH if you haven't left them enough of their own stores ... you can knock up a frame feeder from a top bar and some bits of plywood and stuff it full of fondant - they should find it better than on top of the frame.

There's a clever idea here using a plastic cereal container - whilst this has been intended for syrup you could use the same idea but cut holes in the sides of the container so you can pack the fondant in and the bees can get at it ...

https://hollamoor.wordpress.com/2011/08/06/top-bar-hive-feeder/

Last edited:
Not if you can avoid it ... you are better off with a frame feeder in a TBH if you haven't left them enough of their own stores ... you can knock up a frame feeder from a top bar and some bits of plywood and stuff it full of fondant - they should find it better than on top of the frame.

There's a clever idea here using a plastic cereal container - whilst this has been intended for syrup you could use the same idea but cut holes in the sides of the container so you can pack the fondant in and the bees can get at it ...

https://www.southsomerset.gov.uk/ci...c/pagestream?cd=inline&pdf=true&docno=9569876
Do you need planning for this idea🤔

HAHA ... Don't know how that happened ... really odd things happen sometimes when you are a geriatric IT user ... as my eldest son often tells me ... the problem usually lies between the chair and the keyboard ! Trying again ...

https://hollamoor.wordpress.com/2011/08/06/top-bar-hive-feeder/
Ah I’m glad that cropped up. I have two TB’s and struggle with feeding. Fondants not so bad as I have cutouts in two TB’s allowing them access up to the fondant thats in container. For syrup I made a wooden platform for two jam jars to sit inside upside down with the usual pin holes. Trouble is refiling mean opening the hive to replace the jars if empty. Question do many bees drown or can they get out ok?
I’m going to look into this idea. Much easier refilling with syrup👍

Ah I’m glad that cropped up. I have two TB’s and struggle with feeding. Fondants not so bad as I have cutouts in two TB’s allowing them access up to the fondant thats in container. For syrup I made a wooden platform for two jam jars to sit inside upside down with the usual pin holes. Trouble is refiling mean opening the hive to replace the jars if empty. Question do many bees drown or can they get out ok?
I’m going to look into this idea. Much easier refilling with syrup👍
If you put syrup in any sort of frame feeder you need to put a float of some sort in there so that the bees have something to stand on when they are guzzling .. a piece of timber will do the job. You should also rough up the inside of the feeder as well so they can climb out. Bees don't need a ladder - they just need a slightly roughened surface and they can get a grip.

If you put syrup in any sort of frame feeder you need to put a float of some sort in there so that the bees have something to stand on when they are guzzling .. a piece of timber will do the job. You should also rough up the inside of the feeder as well so they can climb out. Bees don't need a ladder - they just need a slightly roughened surface and they can get a grip.
stuff some garden netting in the feeder or, if you live near the sea, go beachcombing for discarded fishing net (It's what Wally and Jenny Shaw use)

Latest posts

Back