Cq cq cq

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Busybee123

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Any other radio amateurs out there?

I know there are a few.....

Are there any "Bee Nets" on the airwaves?

I'm not very active these days on the radio and mainly do data modes (PSK31 etc) anyway, but I'm sure I have a mic hidden away somewhere that I could plug in!

Last edited:
I can communicate anywhere in the world from my computer, so.......

And your point ?
Ah! yes ! I forgot; Instant gratification ! not worthy
VM

Hi VM (or should I say GA OM)

I was aware you were a ham after I searched the forum for "amateur radio" but I'm sure there are more lurking out there. Also, I know that the late Dave Cushman was into amateur radio as well as bees.

Are you very active on the radio? I keep promising myself that I'll get on more, but there are so many demands on my time these days....I should not spend so much time on here but I find it strangely addictive.

Anyway thanks for the reply.

73 de MI0IOU

Hi,
Not these days .Like our friend Busy bee123, I tend to use the internet :).
There are a number of VOIP services devoted to amateur radio ;)
I have re-met Ham friends from years ago on such programs , friends whom I'd lost touch with for various reasons ! lots in America have reached an age where they are now in 'White Care' , this has restricted their use of large HF aerials ! .
The internet plus the likes of CQ100 etc. has given them a new lease of life :)
Most of these programs feature a small profile heading on which to state your interest .
Not too long ago the Manchester repeater had a group of beekeepers operating daily :) This repeater is linked to ' Echolink' so hams ,beekeepers included pop in from all points of the globe !
VM

I used to do dx'ing many moons ago. All illegal of course! GC258 - KP34 and my screen name was my cb handle. Sold all my equipment a few years back when another close neighbour was 'bleeding' all over peoples tv's and radios running extra power talking to his mates that lived within a 5 mile radius :( all on ssb as well. What a wally. Really miss it now. QRT

I have held a class A license since 1978. Started out with an old HRO, with lots of plugin band selection coils, some with bandspread, my HF transmitter was a Heathkit DX60B, with 6146B output stage, homebrew VFO based around a dual gate MOSFET. My favorite mode is CW, but must try Peter Martinez PSK31 mode some time.

Need to set up my rig at this QTH when I have some spare time, I have a TRIO TS-430S rig and an trapped dipole, plus an old Marconi Marine key.

73s _ _ .. _._ .

And your point ?
Ah! yes ! I forgot; Instant gratification ! not worthy
VM

Well if you really want to know what my point was...

Using the internet to connect to old radio heads seems kinda redundant. Posting code when you can type out what you want to communicate... It is like the Iphone. Now you can talk into it and have it convert what you say into text and send it as a text message. Texting was invented to reduce the need to talk into a phone....

What is our world coming to? :cheers2:

VM - The internet certainly has had a big impact on amateur radio. It can be a bit strange to be chatting on the local repeater and have someone from the other side of the world pop up and say hello! For me nothing beats getting on HF and working some good DX on a few watts. ;)

Nosmoking - Do you mean "triple nickel" 27.555? What on earth is "GC258 - KP34"? I used to do a bit on CB (I actually bought a license!) and this was how I was introduced to amateur radio. A couple of the local hams used to chat on the CB and recruit people over to "the dark side" as they called it. :)

FenBee - I never did CW but would not mind learning it one day (I only got my full license about 5 years ago). PSK31 is excellent - lots of stations use it and it is fairly easy to set up - just need a connection between computer's sound card and your radio. This is maybe not so easy on the older valve rigs, but you should be able to do it on your TS-430S no problem (I've got a TS-690S which I use on PSK31). You can get some good DX of PSK31 - I've worked North and South America and Japan on about 30 watts, but not managed any VK stations yet.:rolleyes:

Thanks for your replies - I hope that I might have the pleasure of having a nice QSO with you some day.

I wish you GD DX & best 73s

Using the internet to connect to old radio heads seems kinda redundant. Posting code when you can type out what you want to communicate... It is like the Iphone. Now you can talk into it and have it convert what you say into text and send it as a text message. Texting was invented to reduce the need to talk into a phone....

Yeah, well, each to their own! :) I personally like to have radio to radio contact with only the ionosphere in between, but as VM says VOIP links can be very handy for people who for whatever reason are unable to have a full station setup at their QTH. It means that they can still chat to other radio amateurs all over the world.

Well if you really want to know what my point was...

What is our world coming to? :cheers2:
Text will never be the equal of speech!
The subtleties of speech are rarely translated into text..
Now to CW. (morse code)
Digital data is very easily corrupted .
A solar event is expected very soon which could disrupt world communications !
The old CW operators can decode from the merest hint of a sound (595 isn't necessary)
USING THE INTERNET TO COMMUNICATE TO OLD RADIO HEADS SEEMS KIND OF REDUNDANT ?
What an attitude you have (young man I take it), I am chatting with guys with whom I used to chat via radio ,they are no longer able to use this mode, so the internet is used to simulate , even to the point of introducing a little white noise into the system !
These guys built their equipment and know far more about communications than you probably ever will.
Cutting through your mocking tones, I suspect your post was tongue in cheek ?
If not , then God bless you :)

Cheers VM

G6LAK but I haven't been active for a number of years now.

Ian

M6ASO & active on VHF/UHF, Usually when travelling between inspections & sometimes listening to hand held in pocket when working on my own colonies..
Give us a call.

I used to be on in the good old AM's days on CB but once FM came out I lost interest, although I still enjoy listening to my Uniden Blackcat UBC 780 XLT receiver but mainly to scan the marine bands locally. QHM, VTS and the Coastguard.

I heard not so long ago of a internet Ham radio program using VOIP or similar with added white noise and side chatter for those who want a realistic experience but without the need for a licence. So when I read this thread I went to look for it again and found CQ100 for real Hams and Hamsphere for everyone licensed or not. So I downloaded Hamsphere and its funny listening to them chatting away to themselves over a deliberately distorted fake radio channel.
:biggrinjester:

local 2m &70Mhz, 6M, 70cms local Rpt, HF in M/home if I ever need to set up,done lots of Hf DX, but like 23/13cms best, best DX on these 2 bands OK.

Haven't been active for a while but have recently been feeling quite keen to get back into it. Used to do mostly 40m CW.

Ray
G4XUZ

Latest posts

Back