Covid stopping me starting?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matmat

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi
Thank you for the add to the forum.
My Son and I have both decided to start looking after Bees. However, The BIG problem is that there is currently No training and were finding it difficult to any contact anyone for information.
Given that Bees are Sourced in spring would it be easier to start the whole process Next year or If COVID is controlled this year is there still time to get everything we need this year?.
Tanx

Start next year
You’ll still have time to shadow a fellow beekeeper and go to apiary sessions once restrictions are relaxed

Hi
My Son and I have both decided to start looking after Bees. However, The BIG problem is that there is currently No training and were finding it difficult to any contact anyone for information.
Given that Bees are Sourced in spring would it be easier to start the whole process Next year or If COVID is controlled this year is there still time to get everything we need this year?.
Tanx
Hi. I am in Alnwick and District Beekeeping Association(ADBKA). they have an Apiary in Felton. You could contact them to see what they have to say. the Apiary is closed at the moment so any training is also stopped. It may open if and when they lift the restrictions. However it would get your feet in the door of an association.
Mike

Our Association is doing weeky beekeeping on line via Zoom.

We are also proposing to raise enough nucs so beginners will have a nuc next Spring ..

Most of the Association run courses start around January and run for several weeks culminating in apiary visits around May. A lot of associations ensure that course attendees manage to get a swarm or a Nuc to get started with their own bees. These courses are usually more extensive and in most cases better and much cheaper than some of the privately run weekend intensive crash courses. You get the chance to think about things from one week to the next and ask questions. It's by far the best way to start in the wonderful craft of beekeeping.

Time between now to read everything bee related you can get your hands on and to hang around here where you will pick up all sorts of things you won't get in the books and ask questions of some very competent beekeepers.

Be very careful he probably needs some heavy boxes shifted a mile across a field and can smell some free Labour for the day. So watch out for the offer of following him around or helping out.

Be very careful he probably needs some heavy boxes shifted a mile across a field and can smell some free Labour for the day. So watch out for the offer of following him around or helping out.

I have a 17yr old Son for that, He is as keen as myself and looking forward to owning his own Bees.

I have a 17yr old Son for that, He is as keen as myself and looking forward to owning his own Bees.

Reminds me of the school leaver sent to his first job on a traditional farm. The farmer looked at him and said "there's a lot of good work in you" which elicited the response "yes and it's bloody well stopping there"

Hi
Tanx

Hi on YouTube check out Beekeeping Basics by Stuart Spinks. He produces videos weekly and he is extremely good as explaining everything. The videos are targeted as helping beginner beekeepers. I have two people who I will be coaching this year that ive directed them to watching this series of videos during lockdown. Realistically unless you've already pre o4dered bees most suppliers are now out of stock of bees for this year. You normally need to order between Sep and Dec to be sure you can get bees for the following year.

My suggestion would be watch the videos. With a view to doing a course later in the year if pos and order your bees for next year

Covid opening.

Hi
Were back lol. With the opening up of COVID lockdowns are there any places locally doing courses etc. And id it worth buying a starter kit online.

Do you mean a beginners kit as in hive suit smoker etc?
If so, yes I think so. I got the Caddons beginners kit

To be honest, rather than buy a starter kit put together by someone else I think you're much better off taking the time to pick out exactly what suits you. For instance, research what type of hive you want (wood or poly), what size you want (national, 14x12, langstroth, commercial etc.), whether you want to spend more on a better quality bee suit, even what type of smoker, hive tool or feeder you want to use.

It means you have to do some research first, but it helps your beekeeping knowledge and it's a drop in the ocean to what you'll have to learn when you do eventually get bees. It also means you won't end up with the stuff that tends to get included in beginners' kits that you'll probably find you rarely if ever need (i.e. frame lifter, brush, queen clips, frame rests etc.)

To be honest, rather than buy a starter kit put together by someone else I think you're much better off taking the time to pick out exactly what suits you. For instance, research what type of hive you want (wood or poly), what size you want (national, 14x12, langstroth, commercial etc.), whether you want to spend more on a better quality bee suit, even what type of smoker, hive tool or feeder you want to use.

It means you have to do some research first, but it helps your beekeeping knowledge and it's a drop in the ocean to what you'll have to learn when you do eventually get bees. It also means you won't end up with the stuff that tends to get included in beginners' kits that you'll probably find you rarely if ever need (i.e. frame lifter, brush, queen clips, frame rests etc.)

I reckon beginners are easy picking for suppliers. Many buy anything and everything and 1 year later it is lying around unwanted and unused..

I made a list of essential purchases when starting out...After thinning out it came to very little in addition to jacket,smoker and a home made hive tool.(The Scots blood will out)

Do you mean a beginner kit as in hive suit smoker etc?
If so, yes I think so. I got the Caddons beginners kit

We had a look here looks good but my son told me it sounds like a list for Hogwarts.yus he that type lol. we may go for this as it's not too expensive and gives you what you need. But we have a whole 8 months to sort stuff out. Currently reading loads like Haynes Bee Manual by Clare and Adrian Waring as well as others.

I made a list of essential purchases when starting out...After thinning out it came to very little in addition to jacket,smoker and a home made hive tool.(The Scots blood will out)

Same here, even though for me it was only a couple of years ago. I found it much cheaper in the long run to research each item and then buy exactly what I wanted when one of the sales was on. Only regret the plastic crown of thorns - bought just in case, and never used - but then I think that only cost 50p!

Latest posts

Back