Could be time to break out the shorts...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some colonys in the spring can be a bit defensive because of one thing or another, but will settle down as the season progresses.
Brood pheromone, stores, weather, how you inspect all plays its part.
We can only assess there behaviour and give them a chance if they persist to be defensive for a long period, then think about requeening etc.
Thank you

Have a quick look under the floor. They may be undershooting the entrance. Getting cold at night and dying. It is a common fault. If that is the case then block the area between the landing area and the ground. You can loose many bees this way so worth a quick check!
Sorry put this on the wrong post but to the right person! 😱
Raided the spare timber pile
Seems to have done the trick vs a couple of days ago! Gorgeous day here.

Attachments

• 0E7F5D44-5FEF-41A3-B621-F4F300B2FA48.jpeg
    0E7F5D44-5FEF-41A3-B621-F4F300B2FA48.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 43
Bringing home the bacon this morning. Fondant nearly gone in both my hives, I’m assuming if the weather stays ok, then let them finish it and don’t then replace with anymore. It’s been on 8 weeks, so not exactly wolfing it down like teenagers. Also as this is my first time overwintering Bee’s can I assume if both colonies were nice and friendly last summer will they still be so in spring or can they change temperament over time. Queens will be just turning 1 this spring time.
View attachment 30875
Fabulous photo!

I broke cover and popped a few supers on yesterday, admittedly I cheated a bit as these went on colonies I condensed down from double to single brood.
A lovely day where I popped about 50 crown boards and no dead uns, many colonies past crossover and looking plump, very few dinks.

I broke cover and popped a few supers on yesterday, admittedly I cheated a bit as these went on colonies I condensed down from double to single brood.
A lovely day where I popped about 50 crown boards and no dead uns, many colonies past crossover and looking plump, very few dinks.
Yikes! You're not too far from me. I had some very busy colonies and I must say my fingers were twitching.

Yikes! You're not too far from me. I had some very busy colonies and I must say my fingers were twitching.
Mine are too and the sun is actually out this morning with little wind. To cap it all I saw my first coltsfoot and some willow catkins out while walking yesterday along with some celandine. The starlings are now back in the garden pecking through the grass - I guess spring really is on the way. Next week looks to be mostly promising up here. bee-smillie

Latest posts

Back